1975 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jwdtenn, Dec 12, 2021.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

markfnc likes this.
  2. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I would put that one on BAT if I was the seller, in the condition its in, and the air bag option I think it would do very well.

My older sister bought a 74 or 75 Caprice Sedan used in the early 1980's that had the air bag option. I only saw it once before she hit a Full Size Van that ran a red light. We didn't even know it had airbags until it went off in the accedent! She wasn't wearing a seat belt and it probably saved her some serious injuries. I do remember thinking that it had an uglier than normal Chevy steering wheel.

That is a very nice looking Caddy, Hard to believe it has almost 80,000 miles on it.

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I once knew a guy that bought out a Buick/Olds dealer that went out of business; in the stacks of the garage test equipment, was an airbag tester for these first-gen bags. If I knew how to get a hold of him, I'd ask him if he still had it.

4. jwdtenn

Note that it does not have tilt wheel.

Bet that was not available with the factory air bags option.

[​IMG]

5. cammerjeff

Interesting observation on the non tilt column, I don't remember if my sisters Caprice had tilt or not? After doing some research I found my sisters car must have been a 1973 model, as Chevy only 1000 "experimental" 73 airbag equipped Impala and Caprice's. She had a much rarer car than I thought!
    So far no mention of if a tilt column was available with the option or not. But I can not see a tilt lever on any of the available pictures on line. I suspect you are correct that Tilt was not available with the airbag option.
    I will keep digging

6. cammerjeff

Found a reference stating Tilt was not available with the airbag option! Good eye on that! I learned another bit of useless auto info today! Also it says the cars MUST have automatic Climate Control for some reason. Probably due to all electronic controls of the temp control doors. Probably no room for the cable system.
    I don't remember my sisters car having that option, but it was 40 years ago, And I only saw it the one time, I would not have looked over a 8 or 9 year old 4-Door sedan very closely unless it had a 454 under the hood. And hers did not. It was quite beat up with 100,000 or so miles on it when she got it for a few hundred dollars.

[​IMG]

7. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think that note is referencing Cadillacs, which were known for pushing a lot of "must have" options such as Automatic Climate Control.

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yes, but let's look at it from an 'explosives' standpoint. Anyone familiar with the USS Forrestal fire?

"In June 1967, Forrestal departed Norfolk for duty in waters off Vietnam. In the Gulf of Tonkin on 29 July, Forrestal had been launching aircraft from her flight deck. For four days, the planes of Attack Carrier Air Wing 17 flew about 150 missions against targets in North Vietnam from the ship. On 29 July 1967, during preparation for another strike, a Zuni rocket installed on an F-4 Phantom (#110), misfired, impacting an armed A-4 Skyhawk's side #405, parked on the port side.[10] The rocket's impact dislodged and ruptured the Skyhawk's 400-gallon external fuel tank. Fuel from the leaking tank caught fire, creating a serious conflagration that burned for hours, killing 134, injuring 161, destroying 21 aircraft and costing the Navy US$72 million. On the flight deck that day was Lieutenant Commander (later Senator) John McCain."

That Zuni was accidentally launched because of a stray current that was induced in the rocket's motor. Back then, GM didn't know what electricals could cause an induced voltage, so certain systems weren't allowed to be installed for that reason. This was from a master auto tech that worked for many years for GM and Ford. And, extra trivia, it stated that John McCain III was on the flight deck. Well, sure, after the Zuni knocked the fuel tank off his A-4 Skyhawk, and erupting in flames! The Plat Lens TV system recorded the incident, and it showed McCain getting his britches singed as he unbuckled his harness, stood up, and scrambled right over the nose of his plane and onto the deck!

9. jwdtenn

SOLD for $10k.

I agree this could have brought potentially much more on BAT.