The tale of two Volvo's

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by rrmac54, Aug 20, 2021.

1. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

As I said in my introduction to the board, I've been stricken with Volvo-itis. After taking a Volvo 245 "art car" and restoring it for a daily I continued to look for a inexpensive Amazon Estate. Prices kept going up and only nicer ones were available. Then I found a 1959 Volvo Duett looking for a new home that wasn't parked in the California desert for 50 years. I got it to Houston and proceeded to do a frame off restoration. It's moving along fine Frame is finished, small amount of rust repaired. Then since people like us can't stop looking at craigslist, a 1964 Volvo Estate shows up in my yard. This one just needs the usual, new front end, bushings, u-joints and just a good cleaning to make it usable. After sitting for 20 years it cranked up with new gas and carburetor cleaning. Polished up fairly nice. Hopefully one will be on the road in few more weeks. duettarrival.jpg 222.jpg

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I can see that Duett being re-powered with a modern Volvo powertrain and sort of resto-modded, Volvo style. But that's what I would do........ Heck, I might even put a 4WD system under it.....

3. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

I've already got a 65 Amazon that I refitted with engine and drive train from a 90 Volvo 240. These are rare enough I wouldn't want to wander to far from original. Especially one as rust free as this one. Though to be honest I did check, a CJ frame is real close to the same wheelbase. I've got a wrecked parts car, maybe that one.

4. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

Got the short block back from the shop, making a little progress on the Duett. The Amazon has to wait. IMG_20210920_173417650.jpg

5. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

Okay, got the Amazon out and showed it some love. Ripped out the headliner, and scrapped off the dried out sound deadening material. Cleaned out 20 years of barn dirt and who knows what. Cleaned up the floors and Osphoed the rust, just getting this one drivable as is. Then put new shoes on. I'll go get plates in a couple days.

Attached Files:

wagoninsane likes this.
  6. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

Moving on with the Duett today. Perfect weather for it. Good thing my tenant is in the house. IMG_20211020_103835607.jpg

7. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

8. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

Got the body painted enough to set it back on the chassis. That went way easier than I expected working by myself. Color is Volvo dark blue #90. Still have to paint the light gray at the windows and interior. This had been a long time coming.

ArnieM888 likes this.
  9. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

OK its been a long time, I'd rather work than post. Got the Duett running and trying to finish up the wiring. Still need to spay the roof. Got the doors on but the new weather striping is giving me pains. Hoping it will be on the road soon. Wishful thinking. I did get the tunes built. Added Bluetooth to the faceplate of the AM radio. IMG_20220617_155749593.jpg IMG_20220617_155823198.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

It never hurts to post more often than every seven months....:naughty:
    Anyway, that is coming along, hopefully you'll get the wiring and stripping installed without too much more effort.

11. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

Still plugging away, Thought I'd make sure it wasn't another seven months. Got tires and wheels on the Duett, waiting for front end man to get off vacation so I can get it lined up. Hood and doors are on and working. Don't know who or why you would make a four part front bumper, man was that tough to get right. Got the rear bushings replaced on the Amazon. Both are now licensed and legal for the road. I'll post some pictures after I get them out and cleaned up.

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

That's the spirit!

13. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

Well the last few days I have been in the "I want to push this thing of a cliff" mode. Thankfully Houston is pretty flat. I was having trouble getting it to go into reverse. Messing with the clutch linkage that I fabricated trying to get adjustment right, I realized "someone" put the wrong release bearing in. Out comes the transmission. Still no reverse, after more work on the linkage I finally get it working. Don't you just hate it when you do something stupid.

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

Yeah, you're lucky you live in Texas...not many cliffs, and the ones that are in existence, are likely half a state away. And that's saying a lot. But it's good you have everything all sorted.

15. rrmac54

rrmac54 Member

IMG_20220810_134707719.jpg IMG_20220812_115706619.jpg Okay got a little bit more accomplished Installed the headliner in the Duett, buttoned up the clutch issue then went to work on the Amazon wagon. Made some rubber mats for the floors and got the front end aligned now I can drive that one and get it sorted. A few more items to sort out on the Duett before I take it for alignment.

JaySco and WagonTheDog like this.