First Classic Car

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by AremangaPelos, Nov 4, 2021.

1. AremangaPelos

AremangaPelos New Member

Good afternoon everyone, my name is Sam and a purchased a 1965 Chevy Malibu wagon and I noticed that the 64 wagon has the option of 3rd row seat. Would I be able to install a bench in my 65 by buying a kit and the actual 3rd seat to convert my car into a 9 passenger vehicle? If so where would I purchase a new or used one to complete the project.

2. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

Hello Sam - I would think that you'd have to find the necessary brackets from a junkyard car, and sadly, I think the number of those early Chevelles so equipped were low to begin with. It's quite possible that the dimensions and hardware may be the same from 1964 thru 1967. Again, I would think that also, that number would be low too. I think in the mindset of the buyer in 1965, adding options to a Chevelle wagon would put you in the price territory of a full-sized Chevy wagon, so some buyers that would order a 9-passenger, would step up to a larger car. Remember, that some of these folks that bought these cars new in '65 were Depression "survivors" and were still frugal with their money and equated "size" and "value" like my parents did.

3. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah agreed’64 and ‘65 should be identical. Don’t know if the dimensions changed with the new ‘66, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a nine passenger early Chevelle wagon. Good point Bill. I do remember I knew I was an early car guy when in December of ‘65 my dad traded in our ‘63 Impala in on a new ‘66 wagon. I threw a hissy fit in the showroom cause I wanted him to buy a Sandalwood Caprice. Being I was 5, you know who won that battle. We drove out in an artesian turquoise Impala wagon. I guess I was just as happy. I got a Turquoise Impala promo, so I got over the Caprice quickly.