Pypes

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by OldFox, Oct 7, 2021.

1. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

I am freshening a 455 Pontiac engine to replace the 301 in my 80 Catalina. I see that Pypes offers cast iron replacement manifolds with improved flow and 3" outlets. These must be used in conjunction with their 3" exhaust pipes and it says they have those to fit my car. The remainder of the exhaust will have to be custom bent. Has anyone had any experience with this set-up?

2. Wagonrodder

Wagonrodder Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Might I ask the cost of the manifolds? they sound great...bet the 3 inch pipes are not cheap...

3. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

I can't find them now. Initially I found them on Summit or Jegs, can't remember which. I was looking for downpipes and they had them listed to fit a Bonneville, so they should fit my Catalina. But they were 3" pipes so I started looking for manifolds and ran across the cast ones. The downpipes were stainless and about $189 a pair. The manifolds weren't much more.

4. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

I wonder if Pypes has fallen on hard times. Their stuff used to be extensively available on the big suppliers and now they aren't even mentioned on any of them.