Tire & wheels

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Mikeg, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Mikeg

Mikeg New Member

I'm currently working on a 64 Chevelle wagon and looking for advice on tire & wheels. My plan is for 15 x 6 for the front, and 15 x 8 for the rear. What size tires for both rim sizes to fit in stock wheel wells. I'm also hoping to find used Cragar SS wheels in good condition (no rust ) for a decent price. What combo are you running on your ride?
    Thanks in advance, Mike

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I know a lot of people want wide, low-profile tires for looks, but do you plan to race your wagon? To tow with it? Carry heavy loads (other than passengers)? If not, you should just go with 15X6 wheels, front and back, and what I have on my '89 wagon are 215/70/15 tires. I believe they come out to just over 27" diameter, and do a good job of filling the wheel wells without them getting too stuffed.

Hopefully, this will help you.

3. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey Mike, have you been home working on the longroof?

4. Mikeg

Mikeg New Member

Hi Deane, no not yet. Still at the cottage, maybe 2-3 weeks. I did receive my complete disc brake kit, first thing though is to put in my new gas tank and limes, then after hunting season, my buddy ( lifelong body man ) said to bring it over to his garage. Some body work & paint. Hope to have it home before the snow flies.

wagoninsane likes this.
  5. Mikeg

Mikeg New Member

What I am going for is the look of a 70’s drag car. No rubber band tires here, no racing or towing, just a cruiser. However, may just go the route of all 4 the same size. Thanks for the advice.