84' country squire vinyl woodgrain upkeep/maintenence

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by Texaswestern70mac, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Texaswestern70mac

Texaswestern70mac Squire Junkie

Wagon Garage:
    have a new 84 country squire and the main woodgrain on the body is in amazing shape. what car care prodcuts would one recommend to keep the vinyl woodgrain from fading/cracking? vinyl protectant like for seats, or car wax, or something else? would be open to any and all suggestions as i want to keep the woodgrain in the wonderful shape that it is in.

Will Hemb

2. 90merc

90merc Well-Known Member

I use Mother's vinyl leather rubber protectant: it gives the woodgrain a nice gloss and depth of color that lasts much longer than Armorall. I would not use wax because that has petroleum distillates which can "eat" into the vinyl. Also, never use harsh cleaners or anything abrasive on the vinyl, because they will also destroy it.

3. MercWoody

MercWoody Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would highly recommend a product called Vinylex which is available at places like Pep Boys and Autozone. Although it's about 10 bucks a bottle, it is wonderful stuff. I have become a bit of an expert in this area. At age 16, I fried my first Landau roof on my 90 New Yorker with Armor All. In college I tried Black Magic on the coach roof on my 88 Lincoln Town Car because I love the shiny look...and it faded badly, bleached the color out. I later found out it was because this was a silicone based product which is a big no-no!! When I bought my 92 Fleetwood Brougham 7 years ago with 34,000 miles, I was determined to find something that would not cause issues. I've been using the Vinylex and my maroon factory vinyl top is still as new. I will try to post up some pics when I have a chance.

After buying my 85 Colony Park with original woodgrain this fall, I immediately coated with this product and was very pleased. It brings out the grain and restores the color beautifully. Be careful not to use too much. I usually spray it on the rag first, and then wipe. If the car is out in the rain, excess product will tend to come up to the surface and run. It will rinse off if needed and can be reapplied. If your car is driven mostly in good weather its not a big deal.

4. Bumscuba1

Bumscuba1 New Member

Vinyl woodgrain protection

I JUST LEARNED A GOOD SAFE PRODUCT TO USE CAN BE FOUND AT A MARINE STORE (bOATS) THE PRODUCT IS A SPRAY WITH EXTREME POWER AGAINST UV RAYS IT IS "303" IT WILL BE STRONG AGAINST FADING FROM THE SUN AND ELEMENTS

5. RoadmasterWB4

RoadmasterWB4 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just ordered a gallon of the 303 aerospace protectant from amazon. After reading a whole pile of reviews, it seems like this is a great product. One guy even sprays it over the whole engine and engine bay after cleaning and it keeps all the hoses and wiring supple.

In older cars , keeping everything supple goes a long way in keeping it in good condition. I'll definitely be applying to all my weatherstripping. The Florida sun is rough on rubber and vinyl.

They claim it's great on tires too.

Also, quite a few horror stories out there for other products like armor-all doing damage. I think it's time to make the switch.

6. Bumscuba1

Bumscuba1 New Member

yes, I have heard armoral excelerates UV rays but heard marine product 303 would be a great, but expensive choice to protect vinyl wood grain and other surfaces

7. jschwartz74

jschwartz74 Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    For those small nicks or scratches in the vinyl, any recommendations on a brown touchup? Mine looks to have been touched up in a few spots with a medium brown colored paint but it doesn't look like normal touchup paint and it blends pretty well. It almost looks like a sealant than a paint. Just haven't been able to find anything like it for sale. It was used to seal the edge of the vinyl on mine where it wraps in wheel well inside the rear doors too which doesn't appear to be a factory thing from others I've looked at but could pass as such. Trying to preserve as long as I can before having to rewrap it. Any suggestions?