What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Next bit of work;
    [​IMG]
    After last years work on the windshield frame and other water leaks I decided to pull the carpeting & sound deadener, lo and behold after a little light scraping. Thankfully it's just in the pass rear floor, I already have to call the local MB dealership for some pieces so let's hope the floor pans are still available. I might even be able to convince my wife that a new tig welder is in order.

fannie likes this.
  2. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Funny, I had a similar experience with the Fury. I thought for sure the rust was going to be on the driver's side footwell.
    Nope! It was on the passenger's side.
    Good luck with the repair. Good peace of mind knowing that your floors are solid as you drive down the road.

3. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Next project coming up this weekend for the wagon,
    [​IMG]
    Remanned. box arrived from C&M Hydraulics today, according to the Mercedes forum people they are the go to for remanufactured boxes and pumps.

4. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

After so many years, finally got the barge running, inspected and tagged with year of manufacture plates. :D

fannie and OrthmannJ like this.
  5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

And we're plinking away at the little niggling problems now. The choke t-stat vac piping, well, one piece is missing, but the part that attaches to the choke assembly housing, that now makes the choke actually open with a bit of speed. The dual exhaust, while not complete yet, is working wonders for the engine; it wants to run like a thoroughbred. Next is a cooling system flushout and a swap to a new four-core radiator with new coolant, and its first oil change since reassembling the top end.

6. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Spent some time Friday and this morning replacing the steering box in the wagon, I had a bit of a time with the pitman arm so I pulled it with the box and got it into the bench vise where I could crank the puller down tight and beat on the arm with a 2 lb hammer until it let go. Excuse the blurry pic of the new box, I forgot to turn off the auto focus on the camera.
    [​IMG]
    Since it was such a nice day I also pulled the wagon out of the garage and gave it a bit of a cleaning.
    [​IMG]

fannie, OrthmannJ and 60Mercman like this.
  7. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I am changing the tank in my 91 OCC (this applies to all 91-96 B body wagons). The hoses between the tank and filler neck are brittle, no longer available from GM, and nobody makes the large one. I found a supplier who makes an adapter to neck down the 1 3/4 inch hose to 1 1/2 inch. It fits into the 1 3/4 inch hose, and fits over the 1 1/2 filler neck line perfectly. I am using a 3/4 inch hose for the vent hose. The company is Filler Neck Supply Co. and the adapter is part number BO3 filler hose end ID reducer. It was about $9 plus shipping. The sell hose by the inch, with a minimum of 12 inches.

OrthmannJ and 60Mercman like this.
  8. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Got the cooling system drained for a cleaning and flush but I'm going to fill with water and the cleaner tomorrow once it starts warming up, it's going to get a little cool tonight and I don't want to have any water in it though it'll probably be ok. I'm going to do a three day cleaning sequence to give the cooling system cleaner a good chance to do it's job. We will see what comes out at the end.

OrthmannJ likes this.
  9. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Finished the citric acid flush on the cooling system after work today, although the system wasn't as dirty as I'd thought the flush mix still came out pretty brown as did the next two straight water flushes. New thermostat and fresh coolant in and we should be good for at least another five years.

10. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Replaced the battery in the 1963 Country Sedan, the old one quit pretty suddenly. Took in in to Advance and had it tested, of course it was bad (at least it wasn't the starter).

DAAAAYYYY-uuummmm - have ya'll priced batteries lately? I had a bit of sticker shock - used to be 80 bucks or so, now double that. Caught me off guard, to say the least.

11. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Yes, battery prices seem to have skyrocketed. I just bought one for my 74 F-250. Had a very similar experience as you HotRod.

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Lemme guess...you bought a Die Hard battery. If you did, the price is that high because Advance paid a pretty penny to offer them after Sears closed. And if not, then you're paying for Advance's buyout of Carquest.

13. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

No, they are all that high, and you can't find a cheap one with low CCA's. My John Deere lawn tractor uses a top post car battery. The cheapest one I could find had an 8 year warranty and cost $148.

14. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Go to Costco or Sam's Club. You will find the batteries there are 25%-40% cheaper than the parts store. The battery for my T-Bird last summer was like $99 and it is an Interstate. Never had a problem with a Costco battery.

15. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    I did buy a DieHard, but a Super Start was the same price from my local indy parts dealer. Don;t have a Costco close, but I might well give Sam's Club a try - I need another one for my '71 C-10. :(