66 Longroof project

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by RMay, Jan 7, 2014.

1. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    7/14
    Well I figured out my slider window and have one side done. Time to turn the car around and start on the other side. I was able to make my slider track permanent and design the length so I can easily install the glass. It will have stops on the track and I am almost certain I can use Tri-5 Nomad window hardware.
    Big thanks to Whiskey Runner who hooked me up with the extra factory stainless trim I needed for my slider window. This helps me keep some of that "it looks factory" design style that seems to be popular with me.
    I cut the inside panels from my rear doors and trimmed them down to fit between my B-pillar and rear wheel well. This saved me from fabricating the curved upper interior panels that run the full length inside the car and it adds additional structural support.
    My fenders, doors and hood are all primed and ready to be fit. My friend cut the color in on these parts so It will not have to be disassembled when ready for paint. I selected a 2011 GM Gray to go nicely with my Red interior idea.
    Hopefully I can keep at this project a little more than I was able to do last year. It would be nice to have it on the road for next season.

Attached Files:

2. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Been busy with other projects and collecting more ideas while enjoying cruising with my other cars.
    Thinking about a possible two tone paint scheme for the 66 Wagon but did not have a good break point with the stock fade away Malibu body line. Bent up some metal and reshaped the line near the B-pillar which now gives me a defined line if I do decide to use a second color.
    With the side window opening modifications complete, I cut the original GM stainless trim to fit and now just need to get it polished.
    I also welded up the pad mounting holes and speaker opening on the dash. If I decide to use a dash pad I will go with the narrow 67 style.
    Fall Carlisle is coming up so I may be shopping for some of the red interior parts I need. Still looking for the best place for other Station Wagon interior parts.

Attached Files:

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    That looks factory original!:2_thumbs_up_-_anima

4. burners

burners Well-Known Member

What a cool project. I look forward to seeing more.

5. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks, I get the same reaction about my 56 ElCamino conversion. Several people in Detroit asked me if it was an old Concept Car. It was my goal when I designed it and has also been a focus on the 66 Nomad Wagon conversion.

Attached Files:

6. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    10/16
    Can't believe another year has gone by. I am trying to focus less on other projects and a little more toward getting my 66 Nomad conversion closer to the finish line.
    Did a special order from Lutty's for the red interior parts I needed. My one of design makes the interior a little different but aims to still maintain some of the stock look. Added a Buick front bench with the fold down center arm rest.
    I welded in the speaker opening and the ash tray opening on the dash and decided to go with a painted dash with no dash pad. Got color on it tonight and it looks pretty good.
    nomad52.JPG nomad53.JPG nomad54.JPG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    damagedduck likes this.
  7. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Nice to see a little progress update on this one.

8. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    6/17. Still trying to get a few things done on my 66 Longroof project while I am more actively involved working on my 2010 Camaro Station Wagon conversion project.
    This week I was able to pick up my front seat for the 66 from getting recovered. I chose a newer Buick Skylark seat and had him fill in the headrest slots so that it will look more like the seats that were originally in a 66 Malibu. The other change is the fold down armrest which was only available in Buick and Olds models. The nice part is the newer Buick seat mounts in the same holes the Malibu seat used.
    My friend now has the original rear Station Wagon seat and rear cargo area covers that he will recover for me next. Maybe getting this work done will help motivate me to spend more time on the 66. It is cruising season now and I do spend a lot of time behind the wheels of my 37 Chevy Chopped Sedan and my 56 Chevy Custom ElCamino.

DSC00939.JPG DSC00938.JPG

VTWAGONLOVER and wagoninsane like this.
  9. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice seat selection RMay! Good to see you are making progress on both your projects. They are looking very nice! Good luck with both. Ever go to any events in the southern tiers? Could, maybe run into you? Happy cruising!....Longroofs Rule! Deane

10. VTWAGONLOVER

VTWAGONLOVER Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks great!!!

11. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    This is where digital cameras suck. An analog one wouldn't have made your seats look pink.

12. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well since purchasing and starting my 66 Wagon conversion project 8 years ago, I took the next step to get this project back on track again. Having the car at home was nice but I found the work I did on it was minimal. There are always things to do around the house and with my other Customs sitting in the same garage, there was always the temptation to take one of them for a ride.
    Today I moved the 66 to our shared barn shop where I have access to a lift and some of the guys are usually around if I need a hand.
    On my schedule is upgrading the suspension with tubular A-arms and a power disc brake conversion. Cleaning up my welds under the car and cleaning up and finishing any of my body fabrications that will be easier to access using the lift. Cleaning up and painting the underside and chassis. With a little help I hope to also get the body work finished and ready for paint.

IMG_4232.JPG IMG_4233.JPG IMG_4234.JPG

OrthmannJ likes this.
  13. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Great to see you're back on this project RMay.

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I've been waiting to see this, in this basically assembled condition. I think this will be a hit out of the park as the Nomaro is.

RMay likes this.
  15. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    12/20
    Been busy with disassembly of the front end and also removed the engine and tranny. With everything off the front, the car became back heavy so I added safety chains to the front arms of the lift to keep it stable. Most of the welds on the underside of the car are now cleaned up. This car had factory undercoating and while it protected a lot, removal has been a messy and time consuming challenge. I used heat on the inner fenders to soften the coating. Once removed I found them to be in excellent condition. I will finish cleaning them up, replace the undercoating and paint the engine compartment side of them before they are reinstalled.
    The front section of the frame was well preserved with remnants of the undercoating and years of grease and oil. Spent 2 days cleaning just the front part. A little more and I can get this section painted and then install the suspension parts.
    Once this area is completed I will work my way back cleaning and painting and reapplying undercoating on the underside of the car.

IMG_4291.JPG IMG_4292.JPG IMG_4293.JPG

OrthmannJ and wagoninsane like this.