Building a Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by 60Buick, Jun 20, 2017.

1. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Great story indeed! I've been to a building like that to buy parts before and I'll agree, you could swear you heard banjos and someone telling you to put the lotion on...

Seriously! You know the junk man was going to give him pennies for it, so really, it would be worth his while to get a few hundred extra bucks and wait a day. But then we've all been there with dudes jacking us around on interest and willingness to come get something too, so he could just be burned out on that. Or really not care or be into cars. I hate finding cars with zero paperwork or keys or anything, just so poorly organized.

2. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like you might end up getting the Truckster in better shape than you originally planned things to go. 3 more cars, wow!

Also, how the heck could anyone roll over that 86 Station Wagon? Shouldn't the lower center of gravity than an SUV prevent that in a lot of cases? Someone might have been drunk as hell, maybe they tried turning WAY too sharp beyond the last second. Maybe a tire blew out and the car went down a hill, I dunno.

3. U-WANT1

U-WANT1 Well-Known Member

So are you not interested in the '79 anymore?

4. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Got any updates? I know it's December so maybe work's on hiatus, no problem; just wondering.

5. 60Buick

60Buick Active Member

I am interested in the 79, the Truckster project had been on hold all winter. I'm sorry I have not replied any sooner, I have not given cars to much attention lately. I'm not online so much and have not checked in here in quite some time. I sent you a PM on the Ls1tech forum.

There are no updates on anything as of yet. Other than the original Truckster that was wrecked is gone. It was crushed a few weeks ago. When I was dropping off the 86 at the crusher I saved one waiting in line for its date with the crusher. I felt sorry for this little lime green 77 Chevette. I dropped the wagon and asked about the Chevette and he said a swap was fine, the wagon was heavier. It runs, has no rust holes or dents. It's in the original paint and has a nice interior with 63k miles. It's still a crapbox Chevette, but a nice one.

The interior from the wrecked 86 car went into my 83 Mercury Colony Park. The 86 drivetrain is also going in the 83 Merc and the merc drivetrain is going into my wife's 48 Ford truck. As for the wagons I bought, I have not done anything with them yet or even gone over them. I don't know which cars are parts cars or project cars yet. The local car is in storage and the 2 in North Carolina Carolina still there. One will be stripped in place, the other will get brought back and its fate determined at that time. Time for cars has been in short supply over the last several months. I have been playing Bob Villa trying to get the house ready to sell. I hope to be on some property with room for a shop and more cars. We're in a neighborhood with an HOA and it makes the car hobby difficult and we rent a shop with a landlord that has pushed the rent up to levels I don't like at all.

The 79 I would like to get is a beautiful car that needs very little. It may be the car that gets done and the others used for parts or a 2nd truckster.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    101Volts and ModelT1 like this.
  6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Thanks for the update. Good luck Mr. Villa.

101Volts and 60Buick like this.
  7. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  8. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Since it's now the powerplant du jour, how about a 4.8L LS swap? If you can fit a BBC under that hood with mods, you can slip an LS there without mods.

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Heck, if you want something really different, an S-10 2.2L drivetrain would give it fair power and still return decent MPGs.

11. 60Buick

60Buick Active Member

That is a nice sleeper. I have not given much thought as what to do with the Chevette. I gave it a bath and had a spot in the shop to small for anything else so that is where I put it. It's back burner. Once I get back on the cars I need to finish putting the Colony Park together and start on a 2nd Truckster. This summer is when I hope to get back on track.

12. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. sqlartist

sqlartist Member

Hi there, just loved reading this post an sorry about the accident - every thing was so positive up to that point, Also nice to hear the people on this forum are so generous with their help.

I too am suffering from Vacation obsession - I genuinely don't know why Its this way but I think its a soft spot for Chevy Chases humor. I started with the European Vacation and only found out about the original few years later.

My obsession is for scale model versions of the Wagon Queen. I have made paper versions, converted other scale models and scratch built it from plastic card. More recently I have been 3d printing it and this is going well. My goal is too make a small diorama of the car jump in the desert and also the race with the ferrari.

I have the photos, the background photos, the desert surface, all the bits I need to build it and have a selection of cars all printed in various sizes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Grizz likes this.
  14. U-WANT1

U-WANT1 Well-Known Member

Those look nice! I like the jump scene diorama idea, that's a good one. Unfortunately i think the OP of this thread has given up on the project. He hasn't posted an update on here for a year and 8 months.

Grizz likes this.
  15. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Your missing aunt Edna on the roof!