1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Oct 11, 2020.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

It may be one owner and all the rest, but he needs to explain why the "Caprice Classic scripts is in the wrong place on both sides. It was never placed high up on the fender ahead of the front doors. It's supposed to be just above the trim strip and just ahead of the taillight on each rear fender.

s-l1600.jpg

From the 1977 Chevy wagons brochure.

1977 Chevrolet Wagons-03.jpg

3. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Also, bumpers do not seem to be original to my eye. Believe they should have rubber rub strips and the rear should also have a rubber step pad. The pad may be there but I cannot see it on my tablet.

4. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Is that an original color scheme? I'm not the most familiar with the 77 - 79 models. This is the first time I've seen Dark Brown with a Beige or Tan roof and interior. It makes me think of a dark chocolate with coffee icing and filling.

5. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I think those rubber bumper strips were optional. Remember that the ebay listing says that the car is very low option, and I'm guessing a rubber strip is an easy thing to leave off to save a little money.

I had a '77 Caprice sedan, and it did not have them.

Here's a photo of my '77 Caprice taken back in September 1984.

img226 - cropped.jpg

As far as a step pad, I don't think there was one. Here's an image of the rear of a Caprice wagon from the same brochure as the brochure image I posted above. You just stepped on the bumper.

1977 Chevrolet Wagons-04.jpg

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I think it was. My Caprice was the same lower-body color, and I'm guessing a two-tone roof on the wagons was available.

101Volts likes this.
  7. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Agreed 100%. You could still delete items and save money if you wanted to on these cars. The rubber strips in 1974 or so were about $7 to add and I've had plenty of cars that didn't have them (even square body trucks could delete those for $10-15 as late as 1987). Note the black seat belts: it was a $10 option to match the belts to the interior but many people wanted to save a buck. This contributes to the basic of basic story for the car. This car is about as basic as it gets. Whoever ordered it wanted a wagon and nothing else. The only cars you tend to see so basic were usually fleet cars for a government agency or some REALLY cheap old fogey who ordered it that way with a sad salesman watching on.

8. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

9. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Doesn't seem like too high a price, although the car does have blemishes all over it, and being so low-optioned will not make it terribly attractive to potential buyers. He mentions that the hood was repainted and that they didn't do a good job of matching the paint. He still doesn't explain why the Caprice Classic script is on the front fender and not on the rear fender where it should be. There has to have been some body or paint work done toward the rear, or maybe the entire car was repainted, and the owner put the scripts where they are because he thought they looked better there. They don't.

10. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The guy selling it is likely a flipper, so he probably doesn't have the full story of any repaints or repairs that were done way back when. Getting a car painted 35-40 years ago wasn't overly expensive or time consuming compared to now, so plenty of people painted and modified their cars when the original paint started fading\peeling\rusting after a few years. Finding a 40+ year old car that truly has original paint and no blemishes or modifications is extremely rare these days.