I'm back!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by TopherJohn, Jul 20, 2020.

1. TopherJohn

TopherJohn Member

But this time, I actually have a wagon.

A long time ago, I joined this forum as I have a lifelong love of station wagons. If you see TopherS, that's me. I was absent for a long time, but I can't remember my password and my email had changed.

MY WAGON:
    About two weeks ago, I bought a 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon. I'm given to understand that I'm the third owner. The man I bought it from buys a lot of cars at estate sales and auctions. I found that my wagon was sold at an auction in Eugene, OR in 2013. It was registered with the last registration expiring in 2017. I believe it has mostly sat since then. Fortunately, the seller lived in the mountains/forest, so the car was not exposed to more sun. Originally it's a California car, so the roof, the back panels and some of the other interior plastics are sun-damaged. Surprisingly, all of the upper door panels (with the 'butterfly walnut' faux woodgrain) are in great shape. The car is Silver Metallic (17) with a Sand Gray (60) cloth interior. The seats are in great shape. The carpet has been cleaned, as I had the car detailed after I got it.

I've run the RPO codes and found that the car was ordered with the N83 chrome wheels. Somewhere along the line, someone replaced them with the optional locking wire wheel covers.

There's an exhaust leak and the engine could use a tune-up ... but it passed DEQ (emissions) on the first test!

SO FAR:
    Because it sat for a long time, a lot of the features did not work well on it; including the power door locks, power antenna, power windows, power rear window, tailgate opening, seat belt warning chime, dash warning lights, windshield wipers and electronic level control. I've fixed almost all of that. A switch here, a little lubrication there ... and a lot of it just needed to be operated again. Still needing work are the 'key in ignition' warning tone (the 'fasten seat belt' and 'lights on' tones work ok now) ... and the electronic level control.

REPAIRS NEEDED:
    The original owner damaged the front end, so the bumper, grille and header panel are from an '85 LeSabre, rather than an Electra. The seller has a bumper, grille and header panel from an Electra, and will swap with me as part of the deal ... I'll just have to have the header panel painted to match. There are also two spots of bondo ... one on each fender (each about as big as a fist) that are in the woodgrain areas. The seller gave me some missing pieces of trim for the front edges of the fenders/woodgrain.

UPCOMING PROJECTS:
    The seller also gave me a complete set of cornering lamps (lamp housings/trim/clips/wiring) from an Electra. They'll be installed in the not-too-distant future.

I've also found NOS front fender fiber optic monitor housings. I've already had the conductors and lenses that go into the housings. When they arrive, they'll be painted to match and installed.

I've got a Twilight Sentinel system from a '78 Cadillac Deville. I'm trying to decide if it can go in without damaging my current headlamp system. All of my car's native wiring will hook right up, but it will involve some additional wiring to fully function. And I've got a light-switch plaque that is for the T82 (Twilight Sentinel) option, so that it would look factory.

I'll need to work on restoring the interior plastics (mostly in the way-back). Fortunately, the Sand Gray color (a 1983-84 only color) was common on Grand Nationals and Cutlass Calais ... which are hot commodities. There are a number of people out there restoring their cars and so the paint and such are not hard to find.

FINAL THOUGHT:
    Sorry to ramble on and on. I am just super-excited about finally owning a wagon.

There is a gold plaque on the dash that says "Made especially for Murdock and Harriet". So far, everyone I've told about that says I need to leave that there. I suspect that the original owners were Murdock and Harriet. I've googled them, but haven't figured out who they are (were?). At any rate, I'm considering calling my wagon "Harriet" ... or maybe "Murdock" ... I'm waiting for my wagon to tell me. 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon 1.jpg 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon 3.jpg 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon 8.jpg 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon 9a.jpg 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon 5.jpg

fannie and markfnc like this.
  2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well let me be the first to welcome you back. I apparently joined after you left the first time, but how exciting for your new wagon. A really pretty car, and you sure don’t see that color combo often. Good luck with all of the tweaks. BTW happy belated Birthday!

dennis and TopherS like this.
  3. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Nice, welcome back.. Thanks for including pictures, we all love pictures!

Maybe you should consider "Murriet"... :)

fannie and TopherS like this.
  4. TopherS

TopherS Well-Known Member

Hey there. I've got my old sign-on back up and running … so I'll be operating under that "TopherS".

Thanks, 60Mercman for the birthday wishes. I got to drive the car around and show it to my friend (who has endured my station wagon soliloquies for over 20 years) and also got to spend time with my 3-week old grandson. It was a great birthday overall.

I have so many pictures of station wagons on my Pinterest … even a special board dedicated to Buick (full-size) Estate Wagons with different sections that are specifically divided into the 1970-76, 1977-79, 1980-90 and the 91-96 Roadmaster models. I found one 1980-90 Estate Wagon that I *think* is silver. The lighting doesn't make it clear. I was telling the wife that it would appear that this is an uncommon color for wagons; albeit not rare.

The interior is an interesting blend of a sandy-beige and a sandy-gray. It's not quite tan and not quite gray (which makes finding floor mats a bit annoying). I only recently remembered that in college, I had a 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4-door sedan that was white with the same color interior.

Hotrodracer - I'm liking "Murriet". That just might be the one!

fannie likes this.
  5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome back Topher. I'm glad you finally have a wagon. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it and the adventures it takes you on.

dennis and TopherS like this.
  6. pyasher

pyasher Well-Known Member

Beautiful wagon and welcome back...

TopherS likes this.
  7. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

This thread could use some bumper music

TopherS likes this.
  8. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    HEY TOPHER! GLAD YOU'RE BACK!

And a VERY nice wagon you have there! As to the auction you bought it from in Eugene, OR - I live in that area! (Eugene and Springfield are basically one metro area - Eugene is on the west side of I-5, Springfield is on the east side.) Unfortunately, I don't remember anything on this wagon from back then..... Certainly looks beautiful!

Gonna be great having you back!

Marshall

TopherS likes this.
  9. TopherS

TopherS Well-Known Member

Thanks, Marshall. It's good to be back ... and better now that I actually own a wagon. It was the person that sold the car to me who got the car at auction. I can't remember the date, but 2013 is what I remember when looking up the history. I'm Portland-Metro Westside ... if you're ever in the area, hit me up and we'll talk wagons.

10. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was also thing Har-Doch. It sounds very German, but also kinda high-falootin. Especially if you’re an MD. Just kidding of course. It really is a pretty Wagon.

TopherS likes this.
  11. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My vote goes to Murriet.

Love the wagon...so exciting. Welcome back.