Cars you let get away and regret

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by HotRodRacer, May 17, 2020.

1. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Well, who knows. Maybe, an asteroid will pay a visit or Yellowstone Park will blow up, causing them to focus on mere survival instead. In that case, that'll be your chance :stirthepot:

2. Paladin62

Paladin62 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My 1979 Cadillac Seville. I've owned a lot of cars, but I miss that old Caddy. It was stolen from my wife's job and stripped. I just let it go, but in hindsight should have brought it back home and fixed it up. If I hit the lottery, I'm gonna buy one.

Attached Files:

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I had a '76, traded my Pinto wagon for it, then part-traded/part-cashed it for a pair of cars. It met an untimely demise several months later, when the guy's house burned to the ground, taking everything around it in the fire. The car had been a boss' friend's project (he taught at a Voc-Tech in Tacoma, WA), and the entire car had been fully restored mechanically and outside. Even the Bendix fuel injection was hooked up and working. It only needed a bit of interior work, but all was gone in the fire.

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Man, that's crummy. Was everyone alright?

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

He and his then-gf were at work, and his kids were in school, so thank God for small favors. His ex told me 911 was called about half-past ten in the morning; since he lived out on Key Peninsula North, it's a miracle anyone spotted the smoke.

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Indeed. Material possessions can always be replaced.

7. Doghead

Reason enough for legitimising Demolition Derbies :rolleyes:

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Except wagons, of course.

9. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Cars I regret letting get away? All of them.

OrthmannJ, HotRodRacer and Doghead like this.
  10. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

I don't have as cool of stories as y'all... My mother had bought a used 1985 Audi 4000s from a dealer, was a single owner car... Retiree from the bell telephone company... Had a sticker saying he was a bell telephone pioneer... Anyway, that car was sooo nice... Little 4 banger but a short shift 5 speed made that car a quick mother... We ended up finding matching real leather and suede seats and leather door panels off of one in a junk yard... It was the car I learned to drive in... Drove it awhile in college, then my dad gave it away to a friend of his because of an infamous Audi clunk when you turned the wheel all the way one direction or the other... Thought the A arm was going bad and didn't want to take it across country when we moved... To this day i miss that quick little car... Got great mileage too...

ArnieM888 likes this.
  11. Doghead

That sounds like a rusty strut bearing in the cap. Too bad. That wouldn't have been a big ordeal to replace :(Those were the last Audis which were easy enough to work on. We had one at the shop. I was amazed at how comfortable the ride was.
    I once had the opportunity of buying a 1961 Maseratti with the 60° V-12. I can't say that it was a car of which I regret buying, until I recently saw the going rate for one of those. If I had just bought it and put it into storage somehow, I'd now be walking around with a pretty thick wad in my pocket

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

That, or the stops were worn away. That steering was a quick ratio, so it moved fast in a turn. But still, not a hard fix, at any rate.

13. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

I also miss my dad's 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, it was fullly loaded, he sold it to my brother when he needed a car badly... And the clutch went out and so my brother parked it... No matter how much I begged for him to sell it to me, he wouldn't. When he moved he sold it and his popup trailer to a guy for 500 bucks for the pair... That was a regret not only I have of not getting it back but my dad regrets not getting it back... Was a very easy fix, i did it in my 1988 jeep comanche (first vehicle i bought and still have) recently and it wouldnt have taken long to do... But to sell it to some stranger (actually gave it away since he sold the popup for 500 to him, threw the cherokee in) instead of keeping it in the family...

14. Doghead

Most every family has their Black Sheep, if I may write that without incurring consequences :nailbiting:

15. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    And, if you look around the room at a gathering of your relatives, and DON'T see the 'black sheep', guess what?