Bought a new to me Coupe yesturday

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by cammerjeff, May 25, 2020.

1. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Funny how things "find" you when you are not looking for them. A young friend of mine had to sell his 2009 Solstice Coupe due to the not that unexpected side effect of the Corona Virus Lock down. His wife somehow became pregnant? Go figure right?

Higher Mileage at around 88,000. It comes with the optional Soft top for the Targa roof (so you can actually have a top with you on trips as the standard Hard Targa top can not be stowed in the car) it is a 2.4 N/A model with a 5-speed Manual, Power Cloth seats, A/C, Power windows & Locks. It has had a few upgrades including aftermarket shorty Tri-Y header, solo exhaust system, air intake, short throw shifter, back up camera (needed for the coupes as rear visibility is very bad!) Aftermarket Radio that is needed for the back up Camera, and of al things a Corvette C6 Zo6 Suede steering wheel with matching orange stitching. Also upgraded Brakes.

Paid about $3000 less than what I see as the going price, not including the Soft top that usually sell for $1500 or so USD's. According to the info I have found online, out of the 1266 total Coupes made in the 2009-10 model years (only 12 coupes were made in 2010 before Pontiac was axed) only 58 were Brazen Orange, and only 3 were non turbo's with a manual transmission. The car does have some issues, including a non numbers matching engine due to a timing chain failure on the original engine.

The sale will not be final for a week or so until the Michigan Secretary of State reopens to the Public. So I don't have the car yet. But here are some pictures I took yesturday. left Side Topless.JPG Rt rear.JPG Hatch.JPG Seats.JPG Engine Pass Side.JPG Engine Drivers Side.JPG

Attached Files:

Darcane likes this.
  2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's a winner!

3. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, I didn't even know the coupes existed. Glad you are happy to get it!

4. cammerjeff

Thanks, alot of people do not know they made coupes (heck yesterday at the gas station with my Convertible I had 2 people in disbelief the Convertible was a Pontiac!) They only made them for about 5 months before Pontiac was axed. So with less than 1300 made they are and never were a common sight on the roads.

5. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Very nice!

6. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice car. Congrats. Those are really neat, and you sure don’t see them around.

7. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

They came off of the same line as the ones badged as Opels, before they were exported to Europe. You hardly see any of them here, even. It would be a real head-turner, if you went and ordered a few Opel badges for it

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. cammerjeff

But then people would confuse it with one of these! Besides they based the Opel & Daewoo versions on the Saturn version of the car

[​IMG]

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

That^^^should've been the one to get the same drivetrain as your convertible. 'Nuff said.

10. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    This is the model I wanted as well right before Pontiac was shuttered. A very cool looking car and I can't imagine how much fun it is to drive. Pop the top off (as I lived in SoCal) and just enjoy.

My only regret is I never got to sit in one when they were still available to determine if I could actually fit in them as I'm 6'3" and the Mustangs of the era are too crammed in the footwell area for me and a manual gear box. The one time I consulted a dealer he told me no test drives or sit-ins unless I put a deposit down and it had to be one of the 2 they had on the lot (a white and a silver one, bleh).

11. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

12. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

We had one of those, just like that one. Bought it new for the wife in 1970, just before I went to Viet Nam. It was a Camaro killer, not in a drag race but on a twisty road course. It was like a motorcycle in that when it "came on the pipe" at 50 it just leapt ahead and took off. I used to play around with cars on the interstate and leave them with an astonished look on their face.

13. cammerjeff

They are kinda tight for anyone over 6' if you are on the stocky side. But I know a couple of owners who are six two plus, and they don't have an issue fitting, but they are also on the slim side. My 5'10" 220lb frame fits well in the car. I heard that some of the Pontiac dealers that were losing the GM franchise during that time didn't care much about retaining repeat buyers, as they were going to be out of buisiness soon anyway.

I agree it would be a better car for a V8 conversion than my Convertible. But that is not in the near future anyway.

I also owned a couple of Opel gt's, a red 1970 that was a great car until the deer took it out, and a fuel injected 74 that looked great but wouldn't run for more than a day or 2. I bought them both well used in the 75-77 time frame.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  14. cammerjeff

Brought it home today, it sure is a different driving experience than my V8 Powered Convertible! It has a couple of things to fix like the Turn Signal switch, but new parts came with the car so just have swap them out. Much quieter inside with the top & windows up cruising.

The P/O told me this cars interior was pretty beaten up when he bought it. It was a base model car with a Base radio, so the steering wheel was Plastic, without radio or Phone controls. So he added a Suede C7 Corvette Z06 wheel, and actually got the radio and phone controls working with the after market radio! I was impressed by that. I was unsure about the feel of the suede but it is growing on me. I don't care for the gloss black painted steering wheel trim & instrument panel, but that can be changed. So far very happy with it. Drove it for about 50 miles today, much quieter on the highway cruising than the convertible.

I had a 10 minute conversation while filling it up trying to explain to people it was a Pontiac, and I didn't add Arrowheads to a Lamborghini! Never had anything like that conversation with the convertible.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2020