1950 Chevy Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by markfnc, May 22, 2020.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

2. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

I believe most in the car hobby agees with that statement but IMO they are missing out on a wonderful era of American cars. I see the styling in this era as graceful and just love the smooth power of a straight 6 ( yes Ford had the flathead v8) combined with the driver involvement of a 3 on the tree. Would go for this one in a heartbeat if I could.

3. markfnc

In that aspect, seeing so many 55-57 Chevy is why i really like the earlier 50's better.

4. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The only real drawback to these cars is they are so primitive compared to even 5-10 years later. This car doesn't even have turn signals or reverse lights, just a single stop lamp. The brakes can get scary and the suspension parts are virtually impossible to obtain anymore (or find someone who even knows how to set up a kingpin style suspension and adjust it). I agree that these are gorgeous cars and I'd love to own one, they're just so far removed from even the 1955-1957 cars in terms of technology, they're almost like driving a 1930's era car. If I was going to do one, seat belts and modern brakes would be mandatory solely because of everyone else out there on the road.

5. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

It doesen't even have a synchronised first gear. What it does have what's better than 60s cars is a full set of necessary guages, instead of idiot lights

6. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I don't know if the availability of the Stovebolt six's rocker shafts has gotten any better, but in the early 1980's my Great Uncle has a 51 2-door sedan with almost 100,000 miles on it. It had an oiling issue to the rear rocker shaft that he would not let me fix. He had been retired for around 25 years so did not have alot of money, and was afraid to be without his car for more than a day or 2. So I must have scored the local junkyards for every rear rockershaft they had! You could not get a new one then. and most of the used ones were almost as bed as the worn out ones I was replacing. I must have put 8 of them in that car in 6 years. He only drove about 3000 miles a year so they were not lasting very long at all. When I was in the Navy they took his DL away, and scrapped his car. He was convinced if I was home I would not have let them do that to him.

7. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Actually early 50s cars were quite similiar to cars made 10 years later in fundamental ways. Compare a 51 Chevy with a low end 61 and you will find they both have 4 wheel drum brakes, non synchro first gear three on the tree tranny, no seat belts, a straight 6 engine and body on frame constrstruction. That was the basic set up of my Dad's 52 Chevy and the 64 Chevy Biscayne I drove in Driver's Ed. This is not to say the two Chevys were identical by any means but the basic "bones" were still there.

8. Doghead

They finally solved this problem, at the very end of the game

http://www.1954advance-design.com/Web images/1958-60-rocker-oil/1960-rocker-arm-lubrication.html

[​IMG]

9. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

They finally solved this problem, at the very end of the game

Better late than never. Don't remember if the Ford factory ever corrected the oiling problem on the 292-312 "Y" blocks. Do remember some friends running external lines on their mid 50s Fords which thsey trashed anyway.

10. Doghead

My buddy's mom's Rambler American had a blocked gallery to the rocker shaft. I ended up running a line from the block to the shaft somehow. All I had to do was to unscrew a plug and run a fitting with line. She used to only take short trips with it. Therefore, I assume she had varnished the engine pretty well. This is one of these situations where everything functions fine, as they're developping these engines. There's no way possible of testing them, over longer periods of time.
    My dad had a Stovebolt in his old Chevy. But, he used to commute from the suburbs to downtown Detroit week daily. So, this problem never showed up

annap01gt likes this.
  11. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Similiar story here, my father drive his 52 Chevy to work from the Md suburbs to the Coast Guard Shipyard at Curtis Bay o/s Baltimore until 1959. Seven years was a long time for a early 50s car to last in that area. It was still running at the end, my Mom just couldn't put up with the eyesore.

12. Doghead

My mom had to, since he was paying the bills

13. markfnc

$75,000 with 15 min to go. gone up 20k in 40 min.

14. markfnc

Reserve not met on 5/28/20 at $78,250

I wonder what seller has invested?