79 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon "Rear Cargo Area Carpeting"

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by JINXY, Feb 16, 2020.

1. JINXY

JINXY Member

I have a 79 Chevy Caprice Classic Wagon and I'm looking for the "REAR CARGO AREA CARPETING. I can't find any suppliers who make this for my 79. I was told all 77-96 G.M. B Body Wagons makes were all the same for my aplication. I also have been told years from 91-96 will work for me. My body style is 77-79. Rock Auto has listed 1996 cargo area carpeting listed. Problem is you can't actually talk to a warm body tech person. Auto Custom Carpet Inc. Claims it is differant also. Please help if you can straighten out my confusion. I would rather not go to an interior shop if I don't have to.
    Thanks
    Sam

2. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm pretty sure ACC makes most/all of the aftermarket automotive carpet that is sold. I'd have a hard time believing 91-96 carpeting would fit very well in your wagon, but you never know. You may be able to find a 91-96 wagon in a junkyard and try it out for fitment.

I don't think having an upholstery shop make a custom carpet for you would be that bad. You would need the carpet material to work with. They would have to trim it to fit and install the binding on the edges. It shouldn't be anything crazy.

fannie likes this.
  3. JINXY

JINXY Member

Thanks Kevin I apreciate your input. Maybe other users will add there's. Interested in anything.
    Thanks
    Sam

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Having just gone through the carpet installation on my wagon I can relate. I am curious, are you doing the entire car? Or are you just looking for the rear cargo area? You could possibly go to a local carpet retailer and see if they have a close match. You could likely get some scraps relatively cheap and then cut it to match.

5. JINXY

JINXY Member

Just cargo area. ACC Does have the carpet also. They claim 91-96 will not work. Which they make carpet for. I have a 79 Chevrolet Caprice Classic. I have been told from people that all those B body cars were all the same from 77-96??
    Thanks
    Sam

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Well, as Kevin said, I have a hard time believing it's the same from 77-96. I like his idea of finding a 91-96 and seeing if you can compare it to the floor in your cargo area.

7. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don't know what people told you all B-bodies were the same 77-96. I'm sure there are some major chassis parts that might interchange, but interior would not be an area that I would think of. Frankly if ACC says it won't fit then it probably won't (to your liking at least). Why not go talk to an upholstery shop and see what they have to say? Maybe the cost will surprise you. It shouldn't be an overly complicated job.