Replacing our 2009 Pontiac G8 GT with a 2020 Dodge Charger Scat Pack

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by cammerjeff, Mar 6, 2020.

1. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Well due to a combination of a simple part we can not get for the G8, and the fact that there are very few options available today for my wife's prefered type of car, 4-door RWD V8 powered sedan. We test drove and ordered the Scat Pack this week.

The only car GM Builds that fits what she wants is the Cadillac CT6 V thats starts around what my house is worth! Plus she does not like Leather Seats, or Sunroofs. Both are usually standard on any Performance Sedan these days.

She likes the Looks of the new Charger, and when she found out she could get it in Orange, and with cloth seats that have a houndstooth pattern in the center seating area, plus the fact she did not have to have a sunroof she was sold.

It was nice not having a car payment for the last 5 years or so!

But happy wife, maybe she will let me drive it some times!

2. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like a nice car. Be sure to post pics when you get it.

What can't you get for the G8?

3. cammerjeff

It's the Yaw Sensor. When it acts up it takes out the Stability Control System, and sometimes the Anti-Lock Brakes & Traction Control System. It usually resets when the engine is turned off, but the few times it does not it disables the remote start. This came to a head a bout 2 weeks ago when it was 10 Degrees here and we had 8 inch's of snow overnight. And the remote start would not work. I have tried 2 used sensors and both lasted less than a week. It is such a PITA to change I am not willing to try a 3rd used one.

I will post pic's when it comes in

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow - that's a shame, having to replace a vehicle over one part. And I know I would LOVE to have G8...… How is this going to effect the trade-in or selling of the G8?

5. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
    That is annoying and surprising you can't get a new sensor anywhere. I'm in the same boat with crank position sensors on my early SuperCoupes. Only options these days are a good used one or striking gold on finding one hidden away on a parts shelf somewhere. Luckily I have a couple squirreled away, but I'd sure love to have a readily available new option.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

No one makes a CKP aftermarket, for them? And is it a one-off design? Or is it possible there's another engine that uses that same design, under a different part number?

7. cammerjeff

It looks Like only the 2004-06 Pontiac GTO's, the Holden Commodore's , and a Opel Model used this exact Sensor. I have found that there are about 50 left in Australia, but they want $550 USD's for them plus shipping! Can't find an aftermarket equivalent.
    And they are actually mounted under the center console not the engine.

8. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Oh, I was referring to the Super Coupe, as the base engine is the Essex V6. But the Pontiac, the bloody CKP's in the console? Hmmmm. It must read the flywheel.

9. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
    Jeff needs a yaw sensor not a crank position sensor. I looked and all I could find was used sensors as well. Too bad I always thought those were cool cars.

The SuperCoupe uses DIS. The base 3.8 V6 still had a distributor in 89-93. There used to be aftermarket sensors available, but they all went away a few years ago. As far as I know they only other car to use the same crank sensor was the first gen SHO (which also used the same ignition module). In '94 they changed the crank sensor design, but I have not looked into whether it can be retrofitted to the earlier cars.

What is the ETA on the new Dodge?

10. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Well Jeff, I have to say that it's a bummer you are having to get rid of the G8. I have always liked those cars. I agree with some of the earlier sentiments, it's pretty crummy that your car has been rendered unreliable because of one part and said part is unavailable. Engineered obsolescence right?
    I suppose the one bright spot is the fact that you are going to have an orange Scat Pack Charger sitting in your driveway. I know it's not a Pontiac, but in my personal opinion, you can't really do much better. :thumbs2:

11. cammerjeff

Thanks for the Thumbs Up! My Wife is pretty excited, she has always wanted an orange car, I have owned a few long before I knew her. The dealer says 6-8 weeks. Gives me time to find the G8 a new home.

As a Bonus I can't believe I can get new car without lane assist, front collision avoidance, or Start Stop systems. Can you tell I don't really like or trust automation? I work with it for a living, and I know how reliable the sensor can be. The yaw sensor on the G8 didn't help my attitude on the subject!

12. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That is a bonus!

13. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
    Ask if you can get it without drive by wire too. Does it have electric power steering assist or the old fashioned hydraulic pump style? Those two things annoy me to no end.

14. cammerjeff

Unfortunatly it comes with Electric Power Steering, & Throttle by wire, the G8 is also throttle by wire so I don't think they have made a car with a throttle cable for around 15 years.

15. KevinVarnes

Wagon Garage:
    It was more tongue in cheek. I'm tired of trying to diagnose cars with drive by wire and electric power steering assist. Nevermind trying to actually fix stuff without the proper interfaces and software and it is only going to get worse.