Does it suck?

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by moparandfomoco, Feb 3, 2020.

1. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

Been hanging around this site since about 2011-2012 or so. Is it me, or does it seem like it kind of sucks a little lately?

That people don't post much anymore, and a lot of the old regulars don't come around much.

I do realize that things change and people move on to other sites that they find interesting, but it still kinda sucks. It seems like a lot of posts get hijacked and buried. I used to find myself checking in daily just to see the cars that JWD and such found in the Car & Truck talk, but we don't see them much anymore, Kinda of a bummer.

Oh well, what can you do?

fannie likes this.
  2. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

Well wasnt the last survey when someone said about posting other car projects it "didn't fit" the theme of the site if it wasn't a wagon? Id post what im doing with my cars if anyones interested.

3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I wouldn't say it sucks. But I agree that it is different.

Not sure I saw that survey, but I have shared about a 1963 Ranchero project, a 1959 Fairlane project and my F-100 pick-up all on this site. I've never had anyone ask me to stop or even hint at it.
    Right now Vetteman61 is detailing the conversion of his Late 70's two door Caprice to an LS V8.
    So, although this is the stationwagon forum (and that's the main focus) if it's interesting to the group I don't think anyone will bat an eyelash.

4. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

Ok then I'll post up about my 1973 Galaxie Interceptor project... Right now its just getting it operational and tagged.... Then later do a full resto...

5. OrthmannJ

Right on.

6. moparandfomoco

It just seems like a lot of posts are "smothered" and off-topic, hijacked. There's a great group of peeps here like youz guys, but if we post something, it gets lost a page or so down within a day. I gotta admit I used to like seeing JWD and all post those unusual cars, like Grand Prix, Torinos, Coronets - stuff you didn't see elsewhere. Some crazy stuff - like that 71 Biscayne with the 6 and 3 on the tree.

What can ya do?

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

And, as Jeremiah has said, I need to do a write-up on Babe, my '79 Ranchero.

8. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Threads get hijacked and are way off topic by the third post. Dredging up 10-12 year old threads to post a random picture. I usually skim through the forums and see who was the last to post on most of the threads and wind up skipping most of them nowadays.

I don't have much going on with my wagon since I am still collecting parts. I don't think people on here would care that I swapped a PI intake on my Thunderbird.

Fat Tedy and kevdupuis like this.
  9. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

There was some guy who hot-rodded a tiny old Subaru 360 on here. He was dropping a modern Crown Victoria engine and suspension into some old Ford intermediate wagon. I think, a '66. Then, he suddenly disappeared for over a year now :huh:. Maybe, even more.
    If you scroll back to some real old threads, it seems there was pleny going on here. I'm guessing, many of those older members got accidently locked out, after some major event like technical maintenance or some spammer getting flushed out and probably thought that the lock-out was probably diliberate. Nowadays, the number of veteran posters still here can get counted on one hand. Not to forget, ModelT1 used to keep things rolling here, until he retired.
    I'm guessing, others have been financially hit hard in some way and had to give up on their hobbies:scratchchin:. Maybe, their jobs have gotten outsourced or someone's knocking on their door about an unpaid student loan or something. You know, situations of which were non-existent at the time their wagons rolled off the assembly line. Then there are those who gave up, because either their health got the best of them or the medical expenses had devoured their piggy bank. It wouldn't be the first time here. The average age of forum members is over 50, not forgetting.
    Then, there are the skyrocketting classic car prices, thank television, and simply dwindling classic wagons available, as well as the ever icreasing amount of emptied barns and "accidents" caused by persons having no business even having a driver's license

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  10. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

There is a lot of "vintage" this or that as 75% of new posts when i open it up. I do like looking at some of the pictures.

11. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Nah, it doesn't "suck". But it has changed since I first joined as well. I log in daily as always to check the posts. If I see something interesting, I click deeper. Like that Buick 4 door convertible RMay posted about. I check the start date on the thread, and look at the last person who posted in it. If they do not interest me, I move along.

What changed for me the most I think was external influences - and by that I mean that we used to have many people (myself included) that would scour Craigslist and other sites, and link to posts. I enjoyed seeing what was for sale "out there" and dreaming a bit. Now CL has started charging for private party auto ads, and the number of items posted for sale has dropped greatly. That part DOES suck, but we can't do anything about it.

A forum is only as good as the members posting in it to keep it alive. Like everything else, it ebbs and flows.

And for the record, I like ALL things automotive, so if you are changing an intake gasket and post a how-to, most likely I'll read it.

My two cents. :)

fannie likes this.
  12. moparandfomoco

Some peeps just don't get it.....

Rock on everyone!

Maybe I just need to get out in the garage more.

13. OrthmannJ

I agree with that statement. On another forum I frequent the most active section was the "online trucks for sale"
    Now that has dwindled down to almost nothing and therefore the site has very little activity.

14. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I haven't been posting much because frankly, I've been sort of ashamed. The Way-Back Machine does get driven a few times a week, but it's been sitting outside for years now, and it's appearance had deteriorated quite a bit - big spots on both sides where the outer layers of the Di-Noc have worn or just peeled away. The big snow storm we had last year didn't help, either. It needs some help inside as well - some electric issues, etc.

I'll be cleaning it up a bit by spring and selling it...… And I probably won't be getting another wagon for a while.

15. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'd say that is pretty spot on. The classified/cars for sale section was always one of the main engines for this site. It has greatly been reduced due to the changes to craigslist.

KK, I am sorry to hear you will be selling your wagon.