Tracking your MPG

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Eagle Freek, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

I typically check my MPG at every filllup. I was using my memory or a notepad. But now I started using www.fuelly.com. You still would need to keep a record of your mileage and gallons used before you got home to enter the data unless you do it on your phone. You can see it in my signature below.

Here's the one for my Festiva:
    [​IMG]

If your considering getting another vehicle and curious of the real world MPG you can look at other cars and see what they are MPG they are achieving. http://www.fuelly.com/car/

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I keep track of it, but I don't do the computations when i do the fill-up. On the gas receipt, I jot down the odo reading and the trip odo reading for how many miles on the tank. Then I've got a spreadsheet where i enter all the data. Nice thing with my HHR too is that I've got two trip odometers.

3. Caprice Estate

Caprice Estate Dads 74 Caprice

Wagon Garage:
    Driving my deluxo cruise machine, also know as tank and land barge, that weighs more than many full size pickup trucks. Gas mileage never enters any rational thought. These vehicles were never designed with gas mileage in mind. You do what you can to improve the mileage. Like special exhaust systems, better ignition systems, super tuning the engine and now other hi tech fuel systems. In the end you have a very large, very heavy vehicle with a very hungry large V-8. Just enjoy the ride and do not sweat the gas mileage so much. Cheers.

Doghead likes this.
  4. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

After having downsized to only 850 ccs, I'm not in any hurry to start doing any math. This is the smallest displacement I've ever had on 4 wheels. Before that, I used to drive a heavy 2.5 liter turbo-Diesel. Even then, the milage was so impressive that I need not count numbers either

5. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Huh, the thread's from 2011. No problem, I'm just noting.

Anyhow, I've typically gotten 18 - 22 MPG in my 90 Grand Marquis with the 302. That's while running 5w30 without any oil additives.

I recently learned that one way of increasing mileage is to install a Water or Water-Methanol Injection Kit, to reduce combustion temps significantly, and then advance the engine timing. It can be done to just about any engine. The biggest issue is installing the extra tank; many kits just come with a 1 gallon tank, and it's typically used for racing, but I've seen someone add two tanks to his 6.5 TD for dailying it. Yes, you could even use this on a Diesel.

This was used on fighter planes in WWII, it works. You're supposed to use a fine mist of water, not gobs of it at once. As another benefit, it also keeps the pistons spotlessly clean.

Doghead likes this.