Poll:Do you like this wagon or not?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Safariknut, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Safariknut

Safariknut Well-Known Member

I took pictures of this wagon at the Ty-Rods Old Timers Reunion some years ago. I've seen these conversions done on Thunderbirds and most of them are really horrible. This one on a Taurus wagon seems to be just the opposite(to me anyway).
    I like the way everything seems to fit and the use of the tail light windsplits and the license plate frame/liftgate handle.The color also makes it for me.
    But like everything in this world not everyone has the same likes and dislikes. So what do YOU think?
    Do you like it or not? If so what do/don't you like about it and why.Just for fun. 1950FordTaurus1.jpg 1950FordTaurus2.jpg

ModelT1 and Poison_Ivy like this.
  2. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

I appreciate the work put into it, but I dislike the car as a whole. Same as the TBirds you mention and the C1 conversion I've seen on C5 vettes. They just look out of proportion. Even though the panels line up the styles dont. The offset of FWD wheels and the ride height are huge blocks in completing the desired look. And the fact that the conversion cost is probably quadruple what the base car is worth is just a nail in the coffin. Hard pass for me.

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Same here, as far as appreciating the amount of work put into it. I also appreciate the artist's sense of humor. The car affests me in a humorous manner. If the donor car wasn't restorable, then I find this creation to be fully in Ordnung and worthy of a trophy in its own class

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    agree with both of you

5. brydm

brydm Active Member

Looks like quality work, but scanning from decent "old car" front to "newer car" back is a little hard on my eyes. Kind of like telling a good joke, then ending with the wrong punch line.

6. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    should have been a woodie

7. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    In a word........no.

But I like it better than the '50 Ford nose on the '90 Thunderbird.

ModelT1 likes this.
  8. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I think that the windshield and "A" pillar actually tie into the front end quite well.
    The side view with the "B" and "C" pillar affect the look negatively in my opnion, but the overall shape works.
    If there was a way to blend the glass and pillars more I think it would look better. Perhaps tinting the windows would help achieve that to a degree.
    I have to say though that the most glaring thing visually is the tire/wheel combo and the ride height.
    I think that if this car had steel wheels, with dog-dish hubcaps and whitewalls, and was lowered a couple of inches it would dramatically change the overall look of the car and make it much more appealing.

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Correct. Much nicer than the T-Bird conversions and Nomads we've seen. Like almost any car, old or new, the wheels and tires make the car.

10. Safariknut

Safariknut Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who looked at this post and responded.I too liked the way the front blended with the cowl area;others I have seen(Thunderbirds)the transition is not anywhere near as smooth. As to blending the glass and pillars more,I'm not sure the result would justify the expense and I am not a fan of tinted windows on anything.
    As to the stance and wheel/tire combination,I don't find the ride height objectionable and I believe it is used as a business vehicle so that may have influenced the choice to leave it as is. Wheels and tires on a front drive car are always a problem;I have yet to see a decent steel wheel/whitewall combination that does not protrude excessively.
    What amazed me was the show that the car was at was limited to cars produced before 1959 and was very rigidly enforced and yet the officials thought enough of the car to allow it entrance. I still think it was done very nicely.

11. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    ugly

12. Caprice Estate

Caprice Estate Dads 74 Caprice

Wagon Garage:
    What a waste of a nice Ford.