1979 Chevrolet Caprice Estate

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Nov 21, 2019.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

annap01gt likes this.
  2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Very Impressive. The wire wheel covers are a bit iffy, but a really delightful looking car.

3. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Very impressive indeed. Nice to see a 60s - 70s Chevy as dressed up as a Buick. Back then Chevrolet really covered the bases from bare bones appliance to virtual luxury. And three cheers to whoever cared for this wagon for all the years, it looks more like a museum exhibit than a used car.

4. jwdtenn

The wires were factory original per the 1979 GM build sheet. Option N95.

[​IMG]

annap01gt likes this.
  5. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Interesting. I guess I should have said the center cap. I wondered since they said “General Motors Corporation”. I wonder when the Caprice used the Fluer-de-lis emblems in the middle. The wire wheel itself looks stock, my only issue was with the center cap. It’s a stunning car, and saw it north of $8 on EBay today. It’ll go big. Great color, great options. The attached picture is a ‘79 with what I remember as the Caprice center cap.

Attached Files:

annap01gt likes this.
  6. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

That is some build sheet jwdtenn. Cars in our family probably had 2 listings - am radio and rubber floor mats. d catch on the center caps 60Mercman. The center cap design in your photo certainly goes with the surrounding hub and agree black just does not look right for that era Chevy wagon. Maybe GM used black caps on rally wheels back then and they were the source.

7. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    That’s funny you mention the build sheet, and your family cars. We always had to work my dad over like a pretzel when he bought a new car. His first words to the salesman “I’m just looking for “jukebox, stoker, and cubes”. Fortunately he used his car for work so we were able to talk him into some additional upgrades like vinyl top, am/fm, trunk release, even cruise control and Corning lamps on a few of the LTD’s and Mercury’s. Never a power seat or windows. Some Depression era folks ie him thought that was really extravagant, and worried that stuff would break. Thanks for bringing that up annap01gt. A happy memory of the folks is always a good way to start the day.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  8. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    I always thought of the GM center cap as a type of “catch all”. I used to love the rally wheel hubs that would state “Pontiac Motor Division” or Chevrolet Motor Division”. You Remember those? I have a ‘68 Impala with rally wheels. It’s almost overkill cause the car say Chevrolet and Impala all over it. We had an ‘84 Caprice Estate exactly the same color combo of the ‘84 that’s here on the Forum. That center cap was certainly the whiteish, with the Caprice emblems in the center. Think that ran from ‘80-‘81 right on up to the Mid ‘90’s Caprice Cars with wires.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  9. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

Count my family in that option club also. I remember looking at a new I'm pretty sure it was a 79 also, loaded white Caprice Estate wagon. Price was over the top compared to the used 76 Vista Cruiser we ended up buying. Probably a better although unaware of performance decision by the Parents anyway! The 350 4 bbl Olds rocket moved pretty good back then. This Caprice wagon is definitely stunning.

10. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    And with the down sized Caprice your dad probably didn’t give up that much in cargo/kid capacity with the Vista Cruiser, and bought a car with as much quality.

11. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

Good point thank you. I forgot about the downsizing that occurred to the GM full size wagons first. Yes never a problem with the Vista Cruiser and 350 rocket for space and power since we never towed anything back then either. Would have liked a 455 in the earlier years but that would have never been a sell to the Parents because of the difference in mpg’s.

12. jwdtenn

Ahnold memorably "borrowed" a 1979 Caprice Estate in 1984's "The Terminator."

[​IMG]

13. jwdtenn

SOLD?

The eBay listing was pulled yesterday early well short of reserve. I contacted the dealer by email prior and he wanted $17,500.

That is way high for a GM box wagon - that price is in mint clamshell territory.

14. jwdtenn

Dealer confirmed this museum piece did sell.