Well it’s no garage but it will do

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by CarpenterCruiser, Nov 3, 2019.

1. CarpenterCruiser

CarpenterCruiser Member

Wagon Garage:
    No funds for a garage presently (wife and I need an addition to our home before we have a garage). I had to find something to store the wagon in. Just sitting outside with nasty rain and even worse weather coming this winter I had to get a shelter. Ended up going with one of these shelter logic car ports. It fit my budget and the car lol. I’ve heard people get about 2 years out of them before they start to go so I’ve bought myself some time. My boys did a great job today helping me out. So now the wagon has a home.

Attached Files:

2. CarpenterCruiser

CarpenterCruiser Member

Wagon Garage:
    Couple more because I’m proud of these boys :)

Attached Files:

60Mercman likes this.
  3. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

All you need to do now is to put those boys to work digging a pit, so that you could work on the undercarriage :stirthepot:
    The only thing to go bad on that construction is the covering. You could eventually replace that with that military grade canvas used on tents. Army surplus should be much cheaper and better than the original stuff.
    This guy buys up everything the U.S. Army gets rid of in Germany for dirt cheap, just to show how much you can bargain:

CarpenterCruiser likes this.
  4. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don’t know if it’s my imagination. But that Caprice seems to be wearing a smile. Congrats to your fellow construction crew. The boys did well. The Wagon is safe and sound!

CarpenterCruiser and Grizz like this.
  5. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    The wagon looks great! Looks like that covering will work! Nice job boys!

6. CarpenterCruiser

CarpenterCruiser Member

Wagon Garage:

Nice I'll check this out! I also saw some Canadian guy higher a boat company to shrink wrap the whole thing with some of that thick plastic they shrink wrap boats with for transport. Seemed like a cool idea. Some of those Canadians are pretty dam clever. Seems like the younger generation of Americans (My generation or younger) are just into throwing things away and buying new...kind of a shame :/

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Dude, I have news for you...Americans have been throwing things away for a loooong time. Look elsewhere just on this forum for pictures of junkyards with cars, crushed or not, that just make your brain and heart sink into your stomach.

Grizz and CarpenterCruiser like this.
  8. CarpenterCruiser

CarpenterCruiser Member

Wagon Garage:
    I hear you and maybe it’s just the illusion since I didn’t grow up then but from what I’ve seen not as many people work with their hands and fix things anymore....people just don’t use as much ingenuity ...possibly because things are made so cheap it isn’t worth fixing or because with computer chips in everything you need a damn Astro physics degree to alter stuff lol.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  9. Silvertwinkiehobo

I've been able to get by on my Navy guided missile training; although modules need a microminiature electronics repair technician, what feeds and grounds them is still Electricity 101. And that, most people can do...the rest psych themselves out of it.

10. CarpenterCruiser

CarpenterCruiser Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well electricity is kinda like black magic to me haha. Hasn’t stopped me yet. But I agree it does many.

Grizz likes this.
  11. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Some longevity advice:
    Cover failure results from 2 things....UV from the sun and chafing on all the bends. Get some heavy visqueen, fold it 3 times, and insert it between the cover and the pipe bends. It acts as a bearing to keep the wind from chafing the cover as it rubs on the bends. Also, get some heavy black Gorilla tape and put it on the bends on the outside of the cover......not duct tape. It took me 3 covers to figure this out, but they now last 4-5 years.

12. CarpenterCruiser

CarpenterCruiser Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's great thank you!

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

That and the visqueen are great pointers!

14. CarpenterCruiser

CarpenterCruiser Member

Wagon Garage:
    Still have to get the visqueen and gorilla tape but I ran into a different issue...LOTS of condensation! The carport is on a cleared dirt ground and after a couple rains and some cooler days it was steamy in there...I essentially made a rust room for my car :( so I’ve kept the door open and gave the car a good wash and dry and went out today to get a tarp and 4 - 4’x6’ thick rubber mats. During storms I’ll keep the door closed but besides that I’ll leave it open for good air flow as well. Anyway this should help with keeping the moist dirt ground from messing up the wagon I hope.

And one of my wife being to cool for school and the wagon Saturday night cruising :)

Attached Files:

15. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with having dry air in there. So, ventilation is only going to help. The only purpose that field garage serves is to provide a roof over the wagon