wagon reccomendations

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by codyadams81, Sep 29, 2019.

1. codyadams81

codyadams81 New Member

hello I am new to the forum. I love wagons and I am currently looking for one. I have two questions, my first is what is the most reliable wagon. My second question is what wagon do you recommend for people to purpose.

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That’s a really wide question. I have wagons from multiple decades. I think as far as ride, comfort, accessories, and reliability, I tend to like ‘80’s big wagons. Caprice Estates, Country Squires, etc. there are also a variety of those wagons and trim levels in their respective various lines. It really also depends on what type of wagon you’re looking for. A Pinto wagon might be just right for you and or a wife. With kids you may want a mid size aka Celebrity, Torino type wagon. One thing you will notice about this forum. They share your love of wagons, but what type of wagon they like or suggest is as varied as all outdoors. I think you need to look at wagons from various decades. Decide what you are attracted to, and narrow a focus to those wagons. Woody, or non. There are a lot a wagons out there, as you will see in members garages. It really is your choice at the end of the day. Good luck and welcome to the forum! What you want to spend will also determine what type, quality, and vintage of wagon you choose.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

He brings all good points, but I must ask, what are your skills in doing mechanical or body work? If you have it all, there are wagons listed that can be restored, modified, or just driven for pleasure. The best all-around wagons are those that do not have much, if any, rusting in back, as sourcing sheet metal sections is very difficult, especially the older you get. But, go ahead and look in the wagons for sale section (don't let the prices frighten you) and do your due diligence if you see one you're interested in, do what you can to check it out. If it's out-of-state to you, perhaps a member could, for a gas stipend, go take an in-person look for you.

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Would LOVE to explore these questions with you, Cody....

Normally, we like to see an introduction post from new members, over in our 'Welcome Wagon' section.... but since this is your only post so far, we'll let that go. Instead, let's just do an 'interview', so I can get a sense of who you are, and 'fine-tune' my opinions.... If you like, 'Quote' my post here, and insert your answers below my questions.........maybe in another color (left 'A' in the box above)

1. Tell us a bit about you and your family - Wife / kids? Occupation? Area you live in?

2. What vehicle(s) do you currently own? What are some of the memorable vehicles you've owned in the past?

3. How talented are you in working on your own vehicles?

4. What kind of AFFORDABLE wagon, either old or new, has 'caught your eye' recently, or in the past?

5. What is your financial situation regarding your prospective purchase? Are you wanting a newer (modern) wagon, or something classic?

5. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    codyadams81
    welcome to the forum, once you figure out era and type of wagon you want I wish you luck in your search. True woodies have gotten financially out of reach for most folks, even the 50's and 60' are reaching a $ figure that would make most of us question to use daily. 70's and 80's are still well with the realm of doable daily drivers. as far as reliability go's last regular production wagon (Buick Roadmaster) stopped in 1996 that was 23 years ago, even low mileage "mint" cars are going to require maintenance beyond normal routine, so be prepared for it, it will happen. rubber gaskets and seals do not last for ever. I have a 85 Colony Park that turned 61,000 miles today, that from 10' away looks new - gasket and seal repairs last 3 years have cost just under $4,000 -( I don't do the work)

I am currently selling the car for $6,250, and everything works as it should TODAY - tomorrow who knows the car is 34 years old

apologize for the ramble - I truly wish you luck

6. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Welcome to the forum! The Chevrolet 305 Engine which in Caprice models from 1977 - 1986s (if I remember right) is said to be one of the most reliable engines ever manufactured. It was also on 1991 - 1993 models. I'd recommend you stay away from 1990 G.M. models (only that one specific year, 89s and 91 - 96s are fine) since the 90 models have dumb door mounted seat belts up front.

Grizz likes this.
  7. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

Do you have a budget or some specific years? Whats your location? Buick has a brand new Regal wagon, as do a couple European manufacturers. Reliable is a relative term...do you want something reliable that you dont have to touch or reliable with weekly maintenance?

8. codyadams81

codyadams81 New Member

I am looking to spend 5000 or less

9. codyadams81

codyadams81 New Member

I basically just want a reliable wagon from the late 90s to the early 2000s

10. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's going to leave you out of the land yacht reign if you're after a comfortable 20th Century Land Yacht Wagon Ride, dunno if you're really after that or not. Thing is that the last real Land Yacht Wagon was made in the mid 90s and Wagons drastically ceased to exist in the market after the 1996 model year. There are still some Volkswagens and Volvos from 1997 - 2006 but unless you're after a 2005 (or thereabouts) Dodge Magnum (which I heard IS pretty reliable) that's about it.

11. codyadams81

codyadams81 New Member

Not really interested in a dodge magnum. I was thinking more along the lines of audi, saab, Volvo , Passat ,madza , bmw, Mercedes.

12. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome Cody. Looks like you are narrowing down the field a little bit, which will make things easier for the rest of us to help answer your questions.

I am curious as to where you live?

13. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think I had read Connecticut. Not must rust free stuff there unless he stumbles on that one owner that’s been garaged all its life.

14. Darcane

Darcane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Reliable? Immediately kick Audi, VW, Volvo, BMW and Mercedes. With Saab close behind.

Get a Mazda and be happy.

15. just me

just me Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not a good idea to buy a German car after the warranty expires. I've heard horror stories from former Saab owners who told me to never buy one, ever. Older Volvo 240's have a good reputation but the newer stuff does NOT.