1974 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Sep 24, 2019.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

What a tank. Guessing it made it up here from Mexico. Wonder if GM added more ponies to the 455's installed in ambulances.

3. Stern70

Stern70 Well-Known Member

What blows my mind is how they built these out of sadans not wagons. I first found that out when I got a 71 Pontiac hearse with coil springs in it.

4. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

This may be a stupid question but does the window area on this ambulance look taller than a normal wagon to anyone else ? If it is taller maybe that is why they started with a cheaper sedan. Hard to believe they would have spent the money on custom glass but the proportions look off to me.

5. mrvans

mrvans Well-Known Member

The roof height is raised to meet standards required for an ambulance. The donor car started out as a sedan because it was cheaper than a wagon. The Custom Cruiser would have been a clam shell, all of which should have been scrapped if converted into an ambulance.

6. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Thanks, I lived thru the era of this type of ambulance. Saw them many times but guess I never really paid attention.

7. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Why does it have to come from Mexico? These are commonly collected vehicles today. There's a whole universe of "professional car" collectors (hearses, ambulances, limousines) out there, and not infrequently you see one of them at a show. There's even a club for them.

http://www.theprofessionalcarsociety.org/

I don't think so. Cotner-Bevington, the company that did the conversions between 1959 and 1975, just took a standard Olds 98 and modified it to be an ambulance. So there was extra bracing and frame strengthening and such, but I doubt anything was done to the engine.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/cotner_bevington/cotner_bevington.htm

Here's a 1972 Cotner-Bevington Olds ambulance I saw at an Olds show a few years back. Frankly, it looks half ambulance, half hearse, so I'm not sure what's going on with it.

SANY0023 - cropped and enlarged.JPG

SANY0022 - cropped and enlarged.JPG

SANY0043 - cropped and enlarged.JPG

8. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

I think the whole "Ambulancia" is a dead give away. Probably originated in a small town in Mexico and someone here in San Diego was lucky enough to snap it up.

I remember being a kid and one of the local ambulance services back in PA had a 71-72 and a 74 or so Oldses in their fleet.

Everytime I go to Hershey, theres a dude with NY tags who drives a '69 or so Olds Cotner-Bevington limo/funeral/formal sedan thing. It has high windows like these ambo's/hearses. Now, I haven't been to Hershey for four years, but I have been seeing the car for years when I used to go more often, so I hope in two weeks I see it again!

I think they're kinda cool. Really unusual.

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

The 455 had plenty of torque to move these around.

10. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Just because it was once in service in Mexico, does not mean it was converted in Mexico. I suspect that when the Ambulance regulations changed in the Stated during the Mid 1970's, Mexico would have been a logical Market to sell slightly used Ambulance's that no longer could be used in the local area.

11. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

12. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage: