1968 Chrysler Town and Country - $3500

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by Jsafe, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Jsafe

Jsafe Well-Known Member

2. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

Factory 383 Hi-po dual snorkel air cleaner and 4 core rad same as my 68 Monaco wagon was set up factory tow package

3. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good looking wagon. Good thing I don’t live in Puget Sound or I would have another wagon taking up space.

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That is a good looking wagon. I like it. I was surprised to hear it has electric wing windows! I don't think I've ever heard of such an option. That has to be pretty rare.

5. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I like it, providing the rust isn't too sever I think this could be brought back to excellent driver condition below what it would be worth

WagonKiller likes this.
  6. Squire67

Squire67 Member

Contacted this person regarding this wagon. Asked for additional photos and received a reply message indicating that I was possibly wasting his time or I was a “scammer”. He wanted to know how I was going to pay him cash when I lived in “Ohio” I explained that I had bought a car or two long distance and would work out the details of safely and legally getting the transaction complete by methods we both could agree on. I provided him my contact information as well indicating I was not some random buyer and I was unable to travel clear across country to personally hand him cash nor would I send that sum of cash thru the mail. He just kept indicating he had been “scammed “ on Craigslist. Truly a shame when someone wants to save a nice old wagon for a restoration project and you have to deal with someone who immediately thinks your a “scammer” or is “wasting their time” there are still honest legitimate buyers who do things by their word and a handshake me being one of them. I just wanted to spare the other members of this forum any further grief from the seller.

7. Jsafe

Jsafe Well-Known Member

Squire67, Perhaps some one on here is in the Seattle area and could help you out?? Just thinking out loud..

WagonKiller likes this.
  8. Squire67

Squire67 Member

Perhaps their could be someone who might be able to facilitate something. However the owner of the wagon clearly has the car and the title until he signs it over and releases the vehicle. There are clearly other ways to handle transactions of these types “bank wire transfer” or “certified cashiers check” which the car and title could be held until payment is verified clear. (Normally 10 bank business days) If I involve someone else then there are two people involved and it just seems to muddy the water even more. If I lived in Seattle I would personally hand the seller cash have the title signed over and remove the vehicle. I don’t I live in the “rust belt” of the United States and therefore cars like this don’t show up here so doing business locally is difficult. I didn’t want someone else to experience the grief the seller provided me. There are a nice group of people here and I appreciate the station wagon forum.

9. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

Certified cashiers checks? Dude straight up I WOULD suspect SCAM! Why? I cannot even count how many of those were mailed to me for my 64 Crown Coupe! Probably around 60-75,000 dollars worth of bogus "certified" cashiers deals! Now the wire bank to bank transfer is a diff story! And should of made him think more seriously about your intent. Don't give up just keep tryin to let him know your not fulla poop

10. Squire67

Squire67 Member

I have accepted many many certified cashier checks with the understanding that the car and the title are not transferred for 10 bank business days to allow funds to clear. I have also accepted and sent bank wire transfers several times . Regardless of all this what I’m saying is that there are legitimate people who deal honestly and this guy was even unwilling to discuss any option whatsoever. I do realize cashier checks are more concerning but when you have the car and the title and they both stay in your possession until the funds clear the financial institutions there really is no scam or risk there. The funds don’t clear you still have the car and the title . If I really thought contacting him would do any good to have a discussion to tell him I wasn’t full of “poop” I would do so. But I really don’t think it would based on the fact that in his 3rd response to me he considered me a “scammer “ and a “time waster”

11. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

My maternal grandmother was born in the 1890s. She dealt in cash only for everything including her houses. I was with her when she picked up a new 63 Dodge Dart at Ewell Motors in Glen Burnie, Md and paid with $100 bills. Seems like we heading back to that way of doing business. By the way the Dart was a base white 2dr with red interior, slant six and 3 on the tree. She drove it to the local grocery store until her 90s and then passed it on to my younger sister.

12. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm surprised he even responded at all. I feel like e-mails go into a black hole when I send them to people selling cars sometimes. It definitely takes the right seller to work with on a long distance deal like that. I usually draft a purchase agreement and send them two signed copies. They sign one and send it back to me. After that I go to my bank and send a cashier's check drawn from cash and give them time to deposit it. When I come to pick up the car I pay the balance in cash. There is literally no risk to the seller. I'd just move on. This guy isn't worth the bother of dealing with.

13. Squire67

Squire67 Member

Kevin, Thank you for your words of encouragement. I have completed many sales with the method you just described. You are correct that it has no risk for the seller. I was beginning to wonder if my methods of wire transfer or dealings that you described were out of line. I am trying to protect both parties buyer and seller. There are many great folks here on the station wagon forum to deal with and we all love to see old wagons saved and cherished. I just get disgruntled when I’m told I’m a scammer or a time waster when I ask for some additional photos and the seller is unwilling to make any discussions of how a bona fide sale can be accomplished. Had he spent some time taking to me on the phone (I provided him my contact information) I’m sure some agreement could have been forged to work for both parties. However my intent was to educate the forum about how dealing with people like this sour all of us. I believe your right that even though I would love to have the wagon, It’s truly not worth the time and trouble to reasonably deal with someone who can’t create a respectful environment. Best to move on as you say. Thanks for your support and advice

14. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You hear all kinds of scary stories about Craigslist deals, but I've met some of the most awesome people working long distance car deals like that. I haven't bought a car local to me in 20 years. I usually budget 6 months from when I start my search to when I find the right car/seller, but I am usually looking for something specific that might not be terribly common. I also live in the rust belt and don't find rust free cars for the price I want to pay falling out of trees around me.

I actually had a guy earlier this year I had contacted about a car for sale who was completely incredulous about how I was going to make any money reselling it after I paid to get out there to pick it up. I said I'm not buying it to sell it; I'm buying it to drive it. Not sure why he was concerned about the financials of the deal once he got his money anyway. The most frustrating is when they just stop responding altogether. You're left to wonder what is going on. Even a simple "I don't wish to deal with a long distance deal" would be appreciated. At least on this one you know.

15. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Being in retail for over 40 years not much surprises me anymore when dealing with the public. Can I understand the sellers position, absolutely. So far I have 6 "buyers" for my wagon, but when the it was time to either s*** or get off the pot they all bailed. Have I gotten to this sellers position - NO and most likely won't, have always lived that 99.89% of people are honest, hard working folks trying to their best. But will honestly say there are times when I feel the that it the other way and there are only .11% that are honest.
    This car is worth pursuing, if your into this amount of fix up