Saved from derby: '77 Buick Estate

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Jofo, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Jofo

Jofo Active Member

Hi all

Let me start my stating I am more of a reader then a writer. I have been in touch with some of u and few might remember I own a '73 Estate wagon I purchased at auction, thanks to this forum and before I used to own a '83 Caprice estate. However my latest catch I really need to share:
    After being super busy with work related stuff I finally found myself browsing old wagons online last sunday. There it was waiting for me, a '77 almost rust free Estate wagon up for grabs. I called up and bought it on the spot. Guy had numerous calls from derby guys wanting to pick it up that same day. It needs quite some TLC, a new rear diff (to come with car) driver seat and headliner work, both front quarters have rust and one is dented quite bad also. To make it perfect I'd need new bumpers and paint. The good: it runs like a champ! 133Kmiles, super solid doors and frame.

If any of u guys could help out with some parts that would be very welcome! I have an address in Texas from where I can forward overseas, affordable. I live in the Netherlands, body parts are a bit hard to find. I will be restoring it to its former glory this winter :)

thanks for following my thread!

image4.png image1.png

MrEarl and 101Volts like this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Well, as a writer, you do quite well. As I don't have anything of that era, I can't help in that vein, but if you run into a problem, need some advice or directions, don't hesitate to call on us.

Despite the damages visible, it looks very straight. Good luck, and thank you for rescuing another longroof.

3. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like it could be a solid project. Which engine does it have?

For some reason it never even occurred to me that they derby cars in Europe.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

His original post doesn't say, but I was under the impression it was here in the States, hence the need to call, rather that 'going to see it.'

5. dmfconsult

dmfconsult Well-Known Member

Part I'm afraid may be a bit hard to come by. Usually, you will have to locate a good parts donor. With my 78, I've been able to get parts this way, other than that, you may have to search the inventory for some of the larger wrecking yards that may have the fenders and bumpers and get them shipped with the car. Engine parts should be pretty available at most parts supply places, you'll just have to identify which engine is in the car. Interior pieces are also problematic, but I had the headliner on my 78 done and the upholstery shop was able to find matching fabric. Not sure if SMS or another supplier would have the material for the seats. Good luck with it!