Carb/Distributor Swap?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by TheSafariKidd, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Clint, having directed the film, knew nothing about the Marine Corps, being a draftee himself who never even once saw action outside of a swimming pool

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Actually, as an Army soldier, he did see action. When he was at Fort Lewis in Tacoma, he had taken a day off to go up to Seattle and swim in Green Lake. That day, Army Corporal Clinton Eastwood saved a man from drowning. I think the particulars are on his IMDb page. But, point taken about portraying a Marine.

3. Munzel

Munzel Member

Nearly hit: Germany.

4. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

Is there a specific engine swap kit to go from the 307 Olds to the 350 Vortec and 350 Chevy transmission?

If my search for a 350/455 Olds engine is unsuccessful by mid winter, im just going to warm up this Vortec's upper half a bit more and install it.

Ive seen some posts that said these wagons actually came factory with small block Chevys? I found a Buick 430cui engine but again, needs complete rebuild :slap:

5. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm not aware of any kits available for this swap. The SBC was used in many B-Bodies throughout the 80's so yes it will drop right in. The hardest part will be getting all of the mounts/brackets/etc. details that are always the hardest part when doing an engine swap like this.

6. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

I can't believe no one has done a Vortec swap in a wagon and if it has been done, why no pictures or videos?

Im sure it's pretty straight forward and self explanatory once i get into it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  7. Silvertwinkiehobo

The basics of engine/trans mounting is all the same. What you'll need to know is if the frame mounts are the correct size for SBC engine brackets, and if they are in the correct position for the SBC. If not, the frame mounts can be moved, but it needs to be done with the exhaust manifolds off. I've done this on a GMC pickup and an El Camino, but the design and principals are the same across all GM RWD cars and trucks from the '60s on up.

8. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

Great thanks for the information! The ceramic headers are mid-length but for a 96 Chevy 1500 2wd truck so probaly will need new headers. Hell, if its going to be fairly easy i might just start pulling it now Lol.

I'll never find a decent priced Olds engine that isn't a pos so i might as well face it, its going to be Chevy powered :huh:. I know everyone is caught up in this LS trend, but I've been reading up on these Vortec's and they have some pretty impressive hp/torque numbers for very little money.

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

I think I may have mentioned Vetteman's LS-into-a-Caprice-sedan swap, so if you read it, and saw all his problems not associated with the electronics, then yeah, the Vortec would be the way to go. There are carburetion intakes that will bolt to Vortec heads using the Vortec gaskets, so as long as you have an HEI dizzy for a carbed Chevy engine, with the proper Vortec dizzy driven gear, you'll be pretty set up. And, factory serp belt setups, alternators, starters and A/C compressors are plentiful; I recommend the 17SI alternator and the late 5.7 Vortec PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduction) starter.

10. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

Much appreciated information, thanks! I have all the bolt ons from the truck that the Vortec came out of so i hope it works in the wagon.
    All the accessories seem to be mounted on one big bracket minus the starter of course.

I have a new MSD dizzy for sbc but i think i have to change the gear to a hardened one? Ive ordered the kit from Summit to mod the Vortec valve train so i can run the XR294HR cam kit.

11. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not sure why the aversion to the Buicks, small and big blocks were the most modern GM V-8 until the LS and has loads of torque.
    I remember outrunning numerous "Smokey and the Bandit" Trans Ams in a GS Riviera way back when.
    Your drive-ability issues aren't likely mechanical(engine) but the 307 Olds IS a turd. So many better engines that will bolt in as if they grew there.
    The early Buick's oiling "problem" is a non issue in road use.
    Don't Cadillac 500s use the same bellhousing pattern??
    Found this in 30 seconds: https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/pts/d/oldsmobile-350buick-455engines-for-sale/6972561228.html
    https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/pts/d/chicago-buick-455-motor-and-trans/6971584206.html

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  12. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

I personally have nothing against the Buick engine because i have no experience with them.
    Just from web surfing and speaking with a few old school gear heads in my area.

Biggest complaints I've heard are poor oiling system, weak rotating assembly and slow winding.

13. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

Hey i found a 455 out of a 1973 Pontiac Catalina. Looks to be clean and oil is still golden colored.
    Turns over via the crankshaft.
    Was pulled 4yrs ago and kept in a shop the whole time.

The seller hates Pontiac's so can't help me much technically, so my question is will my transmission marry to this 455 Pontiac engine?:huh:

14. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Both the Olds and Pontiac engines share the same bellhousing pattern so the 455 will bolt up. How long the transmission lasts behind it without upgrades remains to be seen.

15. TheSafariKidd

TheSafariKidd Member

Would it be cheaper just to find an older 350/400 transmission instead of upgrading my current one?
    Thanks!