1967 Polara. Opinions?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by JaySco, Aug 7, 2019.

?

Is it a...

1. Project car candidate

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Bad choice at best

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

Hey all, doing some wagon hunting and I'd like your opinion here. My buddy has this 1967 Polara that he's never going to get around to and I'm wondering if it's even worth it for someone on a tight budget and limited experience (that's me) or if I shouldnt even waste my time going to see it in person.
    What I know: it has a 383 that was last started about 10yrs ago. No paperwork. Been in the SoCal desert for 15+yrs with what appears to be 2 or 3 windows down so the interior is shot. These pics are all I have to go off right now.

2. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

I apologize for the pic quality. He hasnt quite figured out how to forward pics so he screenshotted them. Nothing like pics of pics *facepalm

3. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Biggest determinant for me would be how rusty it is underneath. If it is solid underneath then at least it has a chance. Keep in mind this is a Chrysler so wagon specific parts that would be hard to find for a Chevy or Ford are going to be really hard to find for this. Anything that is missing or beyond restoration will take time and money to replace. Aside from some rust in the lower rear quarters the body doesn't look terrible. That interior could take quite a bit to get it looking decent again though.

Having a limited budget and experience might put this one a little out of your reach. If you have somewhere that you can keep it and work on it with no time constraints it might be a fun car to learn on, but it would be a shame to see this turn into a pile of parts in your garage that you either part out or scrap if you lose interest down the road.

4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    The interior shouldn't be the determining factor. It'll interchange with any 4-door, up to the back end, of course.
    It looks surprisingly dent- and rust free. I'd go for it, in any case. There are some here who have started projects from much worse. This one looks like easy pickens, in comparisson

5. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

I still need to see it in person to check the floor pans and such for rust. I seem to hear that everywhere, its going to be hard to find parts. Luckily I wouldn't be restoring it to factory so that leaves some room for custom fitting parts. I am with you on the last part, I'd hate to get stalled to the point of discouragement and just abandon it.

Thanks, this is the info that I need since I dont want to go into a project like this totally clueless. I have looked online but to no avail. Im pretty much trying to piece together info from all over the internet. I think the Polara, 880, and Monaco (all c-body's?) are all basically the same car? So could I source carpet, door panels, and seat upholstery from any of these as long as they are 4dr?

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    If this is anything to go by:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing says, it has to have a front bench seat:

[​IMG]

101Volts likes this.
  7. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Jay - you describe yourself as having a 'tight budget and limited experience' - right in the same wheelhouse as me. This wagon will be good for the 'budget' - cheap to buy, but will cost you a lot before you will actually get to DRIVE it, let alone have it completely restored. I think you are better off getting a wagon in say the $3-5,000 range that runs and drives NOW, and you can work on the stuff that needs to be done over time, while still enjoying the wagon in an unfinished state. I suggest passing on this one.

8. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

9. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

I voted yes for project, but for someone who has at least moderate experience and a $10,000- $15,000 budget to bring it up to a minimum reliable road worthy driver standard. Of course my costs would be higher what with living in the Great White North EH.
    Now the 69 Suburban listed just above would be a good starter, you'd mainly be saving up for the interior upholstery and you could make some money by selling the rims that are on it and putting on a set of 15" steels.

10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Maybe so. But it lacks the charachter of the Polara, IMHO. If he'd be just as happy with the Plymouth, then he should go for it. He'll obviously learn much less from buying it, being that there's much less to do to it.
    I'd rather go the route of a happy and sound marriage, by waiting a while for the right one to show up, instead of just jumping in with the first easy opportunity, out of impatience. In the long run, the waiting will pay off

11. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Let's get down to brass tacks here.

First off, we all have tight budgets. Join the club.

Second, what is he asking for the car? You haven't said anything about what it's going to cost you to own it. If he'll give you the car, which he should do if he's really your "buddy" and given the fact that the car has been sitting in the desert and open to the elements for the last decade and a half then, hell yes, take the car. If he's asking $500, it's probably still worth getting it. But you can see that a great deal depends on what you have to spend just to acquire the car in the first place. The more you have to spend to get the car, the less it's worth getting because what you spend to restore the car is the same regardless of what you spend to buy it.

We really don't have enough information here. Get back with us when you've seen the car in person, when you can show us a lot more photos, and when you know his asking price.

12. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

By the way, if he asks YOU want you want to offer him for the car, I would start at $500 and not go any higher than $1000. And that's only if the car is complete. If it's missing major components (which it doesn't sound like it is assuming it's been untouched since it was last started 10 years ago) then $200 or $300 at most, depending on what's missing.

13. JaySco

JaySco Noob McGee

Hey all, thanks for the replies. I would definitely prefer a running/driving project over something that needs a complete overhaul of every major system for many reasons. Something like that Plymouth (although "one owner" is questionable since I dont see anyone older than 17 buying those wheels, but thats just my opinion) would be of interest. I was just wondering if this would be a good last resort type option. Indeed I haven't said a $ amount. $800 was brought up before I even saw pics, $500 should be easily negotiable.

14. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just forewarning, wasn't 67 one of the last years without a collapsible steering column? Plenty of people were impaled on solid ones in collisions. You may have already known it but I'm just saying, keep it in mind. It's changeable but I'm not sure if there's a drop in replacement or if you would need custom parts.

15. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

What's the point of mentioning this? There's about a hundred things about 1967 model year cars that make them less safe than later models. Why pick only this one? These cars don't have airbags, anti-lock brakes, padded dashboards, seat belts, headrests, side marker lights, the list is longer than my arm. If you're going to worry about older cars being less safe, you might as well not be in the old car hobby. I have a '67 Delta 88, and I'm fully aware of its safety shortcomings relative to my late model daily drivers. But that doesn't mean that it is unsafe. But it also means that I wouldn't use it as a daily driver, and I'm doubting that the OP would plan to use this wagon that way.