1985 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - Doug DeMuro

Discussion in 'Station Wagons in the Movies and other Media' started by 81X11, Jul 11, 2019.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I do watch this guys videos....and often wonder if he makes stupid mistakes and outrageous statements on purpose...to "sell video views". And yes, he's a millennial who grew up riding in Hondas and Toyotas, so these cars are old and odd to him... That said, as an OLD person (I'm a whopping age 45), and someone that grew up with these cars, and later owned (and loved) an 1989 Olds Custom Cruiser, I will agree the 307 was really gutless, the 2nd row seat legroom wasn't great for how massive these cars are, and the dash vents were too small (though I REALLY miss the "crotch vents"), so I have no arguments to any of those remarks. WHERE I tend to disagree are in his comments about comfort and driving experience...and I believe there is something to be said for wide, soft seats, a ride that totally eliminates bumps, and floating down the highway in silence....the only sound in my Cruiser was the exhaust "whoosh" on really hard acceleration. Was it exciting to drive...no, but it was VERY comfortable, and I loved the view over that long hood from the driver's seat. I also have to disagree with his comment about the styling of the dashboard...I think it was really attractive. This car needed the optional gauge package, but beyond that I think it was a classy design...as it was meant to be...it was shared with the flagship Olds Ninety-Eight for goodness sake! Now to the anger/frustration/stupidity... First..the brake/tail light comment..does he really think the tiny new LED lights on modern cars are safer than these big block lights?? Also, and this made my head explode...he notes that with the seats folded down you have "almost" a flat load floor, with the exception of the 3rd row footwell.... COULDN'T SOMEONE have shown him that the cargo lid flips over from the 3rd row seatback before he posted this video?!?!?! Also...and this really made me think he's trying to upset people on purpose...as someone that can work all the modern "infotainment" systems on newer cars he reviews, I was SHOCKED that he could not figure out the RADIO in this car....he actually made a long comment about "fading" the speaker sound from front to rear.....by pushing the fast-forward and reverse control lever for the cassette player....! Someone should have shown him how to set push-button station pre-sets on that radio...would have blown his mind... This is a person that gets paid....very well (he owns a Viper)...by Auto Trader and these videos..to TALK and WRITE reviews about cars. It would be like a newspaper reporter that never checked any facts before publishing an article! And maybe...maybe...that's the point...he does this to drive people crazy to get rants like this...which generate more views...I mean THAT at least makes...some... sense....

2. Darcane

Darcane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    *shrug* I think it was a pretty fair assessment of the car (other than the radio controls), and it's basically the same thing I have. Although, the touch-pad HVAC controls would have surprised him I'm sure. I like the car in spite of it's flaws.

To really blow his mind, I pointed out to him that this "MASSIVE" car... it a product of GM's DOWNSIZING efforts of the seventies. Over a foot shorter and hundreds of pounds lighter than the previous generation!

3. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I watched about 8 minutes of it and can't watch much more at this point due to my schedule. This is kinda painful watching since he seems to make goofy assessments as if they're on purpose for his show. "Wire Wheels" instead of hubcaps. At least he praised the tailgate.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019