1976 Colony Park...what’s it worth?

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by Alexjordan22, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Alexjordan22

Alexjordan22 New Member

hello, new member here looking into purchasing my first classic wagon! I found this sitting near my home in CA and asked about it. The lady has owned it since day 1 and has full maintenance records of the car. I snapped some photos hoping you guys could help figure out what a fair price is for this wagon as it sits. Last registered in 2013, some door panels, carpet, and dash need replaced. Mold on the seats as well. Other than that just an honest old wagon.

Attached Files:

2. Alexjordan22

Alexjordan22 New Member

3. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow. What a neat find. I have a ‘77 in that cream color, only mine has the brown interior. This has the optional “Valino” interior with bench seats. Looks middle of the road option wise. Does it have power seats, or passenger recline? It’s got power mini vents. That’s a nice option. I would say the way it sits probably 3-5k would not be out of range. Looks like you just have a lot of cleaning to do. Car looks pretty straight otherwise, plus a one owner. Nice find. Welcome and keep us posted if you get it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  4. Alexjordan22

Alexjordan22 New Member

I wasn’t able to check the passenger side cause the car was up against a shrub pretty close, and I’m not sure about the power seat. I could only open the door about 12” because it was sitting next to another car so access was pretty tight. But all in all it’s a very clean car just needs some TLC

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If it's movable, it needs to be moved out, and inspected by a reputable shop. This means also paying for a tow truck to move it to the shop, and if you pass on it, back to the owner's house. Since the car's in California, the possibility of rust-through anywhere is pretty low, but not necessarily not rusted at all. Then, the drivetrain has to be looked at, to make sure the engine and trans are not requiring big, expensive repairs. If all is passably good, 3-5K is a good range; deduct $2K for engine or trans replacement.

6. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    It does look pretty good. The power seat button would be right at the bottom of the drivers seat. I would bet it may have them. To Silvertwinkiehobo’s point if you’re serious about getting it. The first thing I would do is join Tripple A. I have had Tripple A plus for nearly 20 years. 8 tows a year for $110. I usually use them all. I’m surprised they haven’t thrown me out, also make sure you put that car on a slider. PS. If you do get it and needs a hub cap. I’ve got a few of those deluxe covers. Those were an option too. Good luck. Also it would add to the value it it has the 460, and is a 9 pass. It looks like an original CA car. They were doing some weird regulations on engine size. Think in ‘76 you could still order a 460.

7. Alexjordan22

Alexjordan22 New Member

Good to know, I’d love to have the car but it’s just going to come down to price. I’m not in a good spot to have a project-ish car, although I believe with a good cleaning, some tires, and a tune up it would probably be a great car. I’ll have to talk to the owner and let her know what you guys said and see what she thinks. I get the vibe she thinks the car is worth a lot more than it is, she threw out $6k which I thought was way too much. If I get it I’ll post more photos and see what all it’ll need.

8. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    What I’ve done in the past, when I’ve bought a car like this to tell the owner that I would like to have the car looked over by my Mechanic. That’s the cheapest money you’ll spend, especially if it needed everything. With sitting 6 years he can tell if the engine at least spins, then he should get it turn off a boat tank, as you’ll want to drop and boil the gas tank even if it runs without a hitch. Open the gas cap and take a big wiff. If it smells like varnish it’ll be bad gas. After the mechanic makes a list of needs then I would take that back to the owner and share with them the $$ it would take to get it back on the road. That usually gives you a better bargaining chip. DO NOT leave a copy of that with the seller. With general work, IE tune up, cleaning gas, transmission flush you’re still gonna be in about a grand even when you throw in tires. Happy hunting.

Attached Files:

9. Alexjordan22

Alexjordan22 New Member

That’s a good call, if I got a mechanic to give me a run down of everything it may need and what his shop would charge to do the work then that may be something. I’d be doing all the work myself of course but still would be nice to know what all it needs besides the cosmetic things.

60Mercman likes this.
  10. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Worst case scenario you’re out two tows and the mechanic bill, but then you know the real skinny on what you’re buying. This looks like the real deal find, but trust me. There is a ton of bad junk out there.

11. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Whatever became of this CP. did you wind up with it?!

12. Alexjordan22

Alexjordan22 New Member

Unfortunately, no. The woman who owns the car is impossible.

She’s in her 80s and went on a huge rant after I mentioned how busy my week was (2 jobs and 3 kids under 5). She told me that “us young people just started saying how busy we are, and it’s just something we all say now” and that “she doesn’t want to hear that, the only important thing is the things she needs to get done and how busy she is blah blah blah”.

She wanted to meet at a restaurant or coffee shop, go down the list of repairs that she knows the car needs, then call various shops to get quotes on all that work and then somehow get it appraised. My problem was that all the issues she knows of are from when she last drove the thing which was at least 6 or 7 years ago. Now that it’s sat who knows what else is wrong with it. I’m not really interested in spending 2 days with her going through her paperwork, I just want a price and then decide if I want it. I’ve bought lots of cars out of peoples yards and carports, and that’s how it works. I knock and ask if they’re willing to sell or not, they say yes or no and if yes they give me a price after thinking about it. I don’t want to spend what little free time I have now with her.

I brought my son to see the car too and she was pretty rude to him. He’s 4, it was nearly 100 degrees that day and it took her over an hour to find the keys, so he was bored and hot and miserable just like me. He told me he was ready to go home and she responds with “well maybe I’m ready for you to go home and quit whining” which then made him feel bad and made everything worse. I was trying to spend some rare one on one time with my son but it was awful. Once he got back in my explorer I told him he was great, and I’d never bring him here again lol.

I didn’t totally lose interest until she left three voice mails a day later, the first was nice and apologized for how she acted. The second was about how if I’m so busy maybe I shouldn’t have had that 2nd or 3rd kid (totally missing the fact that the only reason I liked her car was because I have a big family), and that she’s sure my son is sweet but he was unbearable for her to listen to with his whining and complaining. Also, that sometimes I need to neglect my family to get things done. Well...I’m not going to neglect my family to hang with her for hours on end and make 100 phone calls.

So basically I haven’t contacted her again, I did lots of little chores for her while she looked for the keys, although she barked at me each time I moved whatever she asked because absolutely everything she owns is worth a ton of money apparently. I don’t know, maybe I’ll try again in a few months, but probably not. Sorry for the novel, just a lot went on with her.

markfnc likes this.
  13. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    There is no way in *HELL* I would follow up. At all. Just sayin'.

14. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Wow. Sounds like the only thing missing here is her 33 cats. Yeah, I’ve dealt with time wasters like her. She’s not going to find anybody that is going to tolerate her swings. Sounds like your little guy was a real trooper. You’re exactly right about buying a pig in a poke. The other thing with her ridiculous scenario, there is no shop worth their salt that is going to give her a reasonable quote over the phone for a “list” of fixes to a car she hasn’t driven or can’t get to the shop. Could you imagine that phone call with some burly guy that just crawled out from under F-250 and 15 minutes in tells her he’s busy? I would just keep an eye out on the car and if you see any activity around the house m, that might be your in. Good luck, and it sounds like you’ve gone to this dance a few times before. Sometimes you gotta kiss a bunch of toads before you find that Princess. You’ll find a neat wagon at some point. Maybe even that one. At the right price that is. Lol.

15. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    wouldn't touch this car for a grand, I think you can safely assume that every seal and gasket has to be replaced, it's not the time or the money for the part its the getting to them that costs.
    Have an 85 CP with 60,000 miles and in process of replacing all the transmission gaskets and seals, they died of old age
    have already replaced just about every motor gaskets and seals,