Close call

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by tbirdsps, Sep 29, 2009.

  1. tbirdsps

    tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Messages:
    5,340
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Ridgecrest, Ca.
    I was leaving work last nite in my wagon when all of a sudden the traffic just stopped in front of me. I jabbed the brakes hard (no skidding) and I was headed to the right to avoid nailing the car in front. I had plenty of room and wouldn't have hit that car but when I looked in the mirror the Ford Expedition behind me was hard on the brakes and heading left. Lucky for me there was no oncoming traffic.

    Close call. My wagon is home today...that spooked me a bit to think it would have been rear ended.

    One thing I'm glad for is anti-lock brakes on Expeditions and the fact that I have disk brakes, shoulder harnesses and new tires. That was close.:49:

    So, you all with pre-1967 wagons out there, do a brake upgrade and install power disk brakes if you use your cars regularly. I'm glad mine is equipped that way from the factory.
     
  2. winged one

    winged one Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    Messages:
    321
    Likes Received:
    27
    Trophy Points:
    107
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Michigan
    Shew. Glad you came through unscathed.

    My 67 has manual drum brakes. I do plan to upgrade to power.
     
  3. HandyAndy

    HandyAndy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Messages:
    3,734
    Likes Received:
    22
    Trophy Points:
    158
    Location:
    Winterpeg
    Heck my '78 has manual brakes. I rebuilt them though, shortly after purchasing the car.

    They failed where the hard line in the wheel well goes to the rubber one. Rusted out.

    So if anything, check them there especially, give 'em a good hands-on to check for pinholes and cracks.
     
  4. Stormin' Norman

    Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
    Messages:
    19,625
    Likes Received:
    34
    Trophy Points:
    813
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    That's right, they are manual on yours. With front disc brakes? I never noticed. Sure stop nice.
     
  5. Stormin' Norman

    Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
    Messages:
    19,625
    Likes Received:
    34
    Trophy Points:
    813
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    It takes a while for that lump in your throat to stop swelling. Glad you both made it.:bowdown:
     
  6. Roadking41A

    Roadking41A Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2007
    Messages:
    5,436
    Likes Received:
    53
    Trophy Points:
    120
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    I'm glad this didn't have a bad outcome.
     
  7. drabina

    drabina New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2009
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    NJ
    I am glad and that you and your wagon are ok.

    I still have manual drum brakes all around. Plans are to upgrade to power discs in the front leaving the drums in the back unless there are some extra funds to be found in my pockets.
     
  8. CapriceEstate

    CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    Location:
    Pardeeville/ Portage, Wisconsin.
    Very glad to hear that you and your car are safe!
     
  9. Krash Kadillak

    Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    Messages:
    21,109
    Likes Received:
    2,062
    Trophy Points:
    798
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Springfield, Oregon
    Yeah - I've been driving the Focus since it had around 20k miles and never had the brakes done. It's up to 55k now, so I took it in to my local dealer. Was costly, but I feel a lot safer now.
     
  10. a1awind

    a1awind Tiki God

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2008
    Messages:
    3,329
    Likes Received:
    8
    Trophy Points:
    110
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    Location:
    Ellwood city Pa
    yeah thank god you escaped. would be sad to have an injured member
    or lost another rare wagon
     
  11. tbirdsps

    tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Messages:
    5,340
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Ridgecrest, Ca.
    It was relatively low speeds but I would have got it from both ends if the gal behind me didn't get wow'd fast enough.
     
  12. Taranau

    Taranau Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
    Messages:
    1,674
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    99
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    L.A.Calif.USA
    :eek: any close call is one too many...Also,there may still be Lincoln Versailles's and comparably equipped Monarchs and Granadas out there,with that rear axle disk brake set up too...For those of you with the right size wagons for that sort of thing...There are also after-market kits for getting you that kind of rear axle,for a lot of cars... It never hurts to get bigger better brakes... :yup:
     
  13. Bob Scott

    Bob Scott New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2009
    Messages:
    214
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    St. Louis Missouri
    My two daughters were getting into driving age when I bought a 55 Chevy some 20 yrs ago. The VERY first thing I did to that car was install disk brakes on the front end. ( 50 dollar Danchuck brackets and 50 bucks worth of junkyard parts)
    They have never had the pleasure of having brake fade due to heat or water on the linings and I didn't want the to start then.
    Think about it. The high speed tail gating we see on the roads today isn't because of better highways. It's because of better brakes. Who in their right mind would run up on someone's rear bumper at 60 -70 mph, 30-40 yrs ago. Unfortunately it's pretty common today.
     
  14. Taranau

    Taranau Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2007
    Messages:
    1,674
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    99
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    L.A.Calif.USA
    what were they thinking?

    I've witnessed multi-car pile-ups on the LA Freeway System,that resulted from that very activity :naughty:...One even ended up killing somebody :49:... And no,when I was the kid in the back-backseat watching everybody else on the road,I wasn't seeing the tailgater convoys like I do today. I'm sure it happened back then,just not as much. It's also something I chalk up to cars that are safer to be in,when they crash. :banghead3: Or are supposed to be safer to be in when they crash. :disagree: People think the cars newer are safe enough, that they can drive more dangerously in them... :pub:
     
  15. CapriceEstate

    CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    Location:
    Pardeeville/ Portage, Wisconsin.
    My pads are completely shot. The thing screeches like a cat with its nuts in a vice right now. Putting new ones in next week.
     

Share This Page