1979 Buick Estate Wagon electronic level control, disconnecting, where is the fuse?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by MrEarl, May 18, 2019.

1. MrEarl

MrEarl Member

1979 Buick Estate Wagon. I am replacing my old rear coil springs with new and also replacing the current electronic level control system with heavy duty Monroe Load Adjusting shocks. The manufacturer of the weight distribution/sway bar hitch I am using does not recommend using a leveling control system with their unit. But also, my ELC system currently leaks down within a few hours and I really don't care to maintain the high dollar unit that could go any minute . I've combed through the '79 Chassis Manual and looked through the under dash fuse panel and can not find a dedicated fuse to the compressor. Not saying there is not one there just that I cant find it. I did locate a relay mounted next to the compressor. I bled all the air from the level control system causing the compressor to run then disconnected this relay and of course this cut the compressor off. I guess my question is, is this the best place to disconnect the pump and is there a possibility of there being something else tied to this relay. Or is there indeed just a fuse that can be pulled.

What you are seeing in the picture is that I dismounted the relay and turned upside down in order to make easier to test

2. MrEarl

MrEarl Member

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Electrically, it's as good a place as any. However, that shouldn't be the end of it. You can install air bags inside the springs, and plumb them into the compressor air line, then rewire the compressor electricals to operate off a dash switch, in order to give your wagon better load carry on that hitch, as well as setting a ride height, without the compressor running willy-nilly.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

That way, the air ride controller box and ride height switch are out of the loop and can be removed from your car.

MrEarl likes this.
  5. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, I don't know about the Buford manuals, but the manual for my identical Olds clearly shows that there ISN'T a dedicated fuse for the ELC. The relay is powered by the A/C fuse. The compressor pump itself uses a fusible link that runs to the terminal post on the starter motor.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

Yup, old-style wiring. All the American auto builders were guilty of it.

7. Darcane

Darcane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not just the Americans... I'm currently sorting out my race car's wiring ('86 Corolla) and it's every bit as frustrating.

I plan to use mine for towing, so I'm curious what parts you are using and how well they work? I need to replace my springs (front and rear) which are sagging and all four shocks at a minimum. Are you just using stock replacement springs? Or did you find something with a higher spring rate?

8. MrEarl

MrEarl Member

Thanks for the great info guys! I’ve been watching for anything that may have stopped functioning due to it possibly being tied to that breaker I disconnected and have discovered nothing so it appears you all are correct. Actually there are three fusible links coming off the starter solenoid. I just replaced all three after stupidly failing to unhook the battery before starting to change out a bad alternator and arcing the nut and alternator with a wrench. The three had all been taped together and were burned to a crisp.

Thanks again for the help.

9. MrEarl

MrEarl Member

Darcane, I tried ordering heavy duty and one inch taller rear springs from Eaton Detroit Spring but there was going to be a 3-4 week wait on them and I am trying to get this rig set up for the trip to the Buick Nationals in OKC in early June. I ended going with a set of Moog variable rate rear springs coupled with a set of Monroe HD Load Adjusting Shocks. I feel like the two will work together along with the weight distribution hitch to maintain a level ride. I am happy with the new rear springs shock as they raised the ass end an inch and ride good. I'll also be installing a set of KYB Gas Adjust on the front.
    In addition I'll be replacing the front sway bar with a new Hotchkis bar and installing a Hotchkis sway bar on the rear.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=201199&cc=1017694&jsn=2

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=60633&cc=1017694&jsn=4

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=502159&cc=1017694&jsn=3

I'll try and keep you all posted when time allows as I've a lot to get done before heading west.

Darcane likes this.
  10. Darcane

Darcane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Funny, after diving down the rabbit hole of B-Body lift kits (both engineered kits and absolutely terrifying DIY jobs to fit 24"+ wheels) I decided to go with the same Moog springs you selected. I was going to get KYB Gas-A-Just all the way around until I saw this post... and I went ahead and ordered the same Monroe shocks you got for the rear.

Like you, sway bars may come later.