So how do ya'll sell vehicles now?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by HotRodRacer, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, dealers have been 5 bucks per car on CL for quite a while now. If you have 25 vehicles to sell, that adds up pretty quick.

I've always had good luck with Craig's List, and a $5 charge isn't going break my bank. I'll continue to use them if I continue to sell the items I list.

I'm going to have to get more familiar with FB Marketplace though. Seems it's getting more popular. I don't like the format though.

Darcane likes this.
  2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Has anybody tried using Youtube for selling? I often stumble on car sales, when looking up any particular make

3. Dieseltech20

Dieseltech20 New Member

How on earth is asking me if my item is still available and NOTHING else legit? NO reply when I reply with yes, just silence. What are they hoping the response is? A no so that the ad can be reported? What are they the want ad police?

I could see if they ask and then continue from there but they never do and it is annoying.

4. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I’m being serious here. I think alcohol may have something to do with it. I got TONS of “is it still available” and no other response. Mostly later in the evening. I think people are just browsing, see something they like and inquire right before they go to sleep. When they wake up they’re more concerned about nursing a hangover than following through with foggy decisions they made the night before. I’d say I heard back from 1 out of 10 and another 1 out of 10 were actually serious and not the “$1500. Cash. Today” people

5. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm sure the ratio of idiot buyers to idiot sellers is probably 1:1. I don't know how many people I talked to via craigslist about their cars for sale and they just go completely radio silent after four to five correspondences. No nothing, just a complete break. Can't respond to a text, voice mail, e-mail, etc. to tell me what is going on, just leave me hanging wondering what happened. Did they sell the car? Did they fall into a well? The ad is still up. Is the car still for sale? Dunno.

I don't JUST ask if the article is still available, but I will lead with that along with several other general questions.

I had one guy with a car for sale that I sent an e-mail to about his car. Never heard anything after a couple of weeks but the ad was still up so I sent another e-mail. Finally he responds, but he questions my financial analysis of the car. "You will have XXXX for the price of the car plus XXXX to get it back home. I just don't see how you can sell it for more than what you have into it." First of all I'm not looking to flip it idiot. I'm looking to drive it. Secondly, why are you so concerned about the financials on the car? At least that guy did let me know when the car sold.

I'll say this, I've met some of the coolest, most gracious people buying cars long distance via craigslist. Unfortunately you usually have to sort to 20-30 complete idiots to get to those people.

6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I have bought one car long distance. An R code 69 Mustang. There were tons of emails, text messages and phone calls. I've also sold cars to far away places, such as Europe. And some of those correspondences were as simple as "I want the car, I'll wire the money, the transporter will be there next week." It all depends on the person I suppose, but I've never questioned a person's financial situation. If I got the money, that was good enough for me.
    Now in these cases they were fairly high dollar deals, not $1,500 craigslist listings.

I have contacted sellers before and asked if their vehicle was still for sale. The responses have been a mixed bag. Sometimes I hear nothing back and other times I get tons of additional photos. Again, I think it just depends on the person.

I'm always cruising the for sale publications looking for something interesting. There's always the chance something will pan out and there's also the chance I'll never hear back from the seller. It's just part of the deal.