Front disc brake conversion (63 Ford Country Sedan).

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by RecklessRewards, Apr 24, 2019.

1. RecklessRewards

RecklessRewards Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hey all, Need some help!
    I am looking to convert my brakes over to disc on my 63 Ford Country Sedan Wagon. At this time I just want something simple and cheap, ill upgrade to something better later but for now I just need something inexpensive that is functional.

Has anyone used the cheap Ebay conversions for mustangs on a wagon? I have a 289 so not a lot of power.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

- Joshua

Attached Files:

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Do you really want Mustang-dimensioned brakes on a full-sized car?

3. RecklessRewards

RecklessRewards Member

Wagon Garage:
    I couldn't find any for a 63 country sedan wagon. Finding parts for this thing has been nothing but a pain! But for now I just want to be able to move it around IF it would work. Hence the question. :)

4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    A while back, someone else here was doing similar. I think, he ended up using knuckles and discs from a later Ford full-sized. As soos as Twink makes his daily debut, I'm sure that he'll remind us on how to go about it

Grizz and RecklessRewards like this.
  5. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    What is your idea of "cheap"? I used a Leeds brake kit for my '63 Country Sedan. I have a 302 in it. The rotors and pads are from a '67 Mustang. I really have no issues stopping at all, Ivy.

I researched a bunch of kits. When I ordered the Leeds kit, I got it through ebay because they offered free shipping if I did it that way.

RecklessRewards likes this.
  6. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

7. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    check master power brakes . I got a complete kit for my 59 ford ranchwagon

8. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Mustang disc brakes and complete rack and pinion set ups have been used on cars of all shapes and sizes since the first Mustang went to the junk yard. Originally, real hot rodders bought used Mustang complete cross members and units from salvage yards and swap meets.
    On early Fords, all it took was a big hammer and a wire welder. Since then fancy custom kits have been sold ready to bolt up to about any vehicle if you are willing to pay fancy custom prices.
    When I converted my '55 Chevy wagon, '48 Chevy panel truck, and others, I read comparison charts and got everything from various cars at the local junk yard. Using the junk yard calipers, etc as trade ins for low priced rebuilt units.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  9. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Well, whatever works, why not. It just seemed odd, to use brakes dimensioned for a high horsepowered compact on a full-sized car. Regardless of what size engine powers it, it's going to be, nevertheless, a heavier car to stop and will be noticable, after repeated emergency stops or Pikes Peak downhill.
    There I go, playing the over-protective mother's role :162:

10. RecklessRewards

RecklessRewards Member

Wagon Garage:
    I would like to stay around $400 or less. With a new master cylinder and proportioning valve. I am not looking at racing this thing or doing anything crazy.

I just had the engine rebuilt and I am itching to put it in so need to get the brakes converted over so I can move it into the garage.

At the moment i have a cash flow issue, but once that is remedied, I don't mind paying top dollar and upgrade the brakes again, but for now I just want to get it moving so I can start putting it back together.

And thank you everyone for your help thus far!

- Joshua

11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

What's wrong with the drum brakes on it now? I could see paying for a cheap conversion if 1) the front drum brakes are shot and/or 2) the cost of rebuilding matches the cost of converting. Otherwise, go ahead and rebuild the drum brakes, save whatever you have left over for a master conversion kit. Just make sure you do all the required maintenance and adjustment those brakes require.

12. RecklessRewards

RecklessRewards Member

Wagon Garage:
    The drum was completely ceased when I took it off, it also can not be turned any more, brakes are shot, calipers are shot, the entire things needs a rebuild. The master cylinder also needs replacing. Last time I drove it (7 years ago) the brakes were not doing all they could to slow down the boat. So grading to something more modern with more stopping power will make me feel a lot better when we take the family out.

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I see. Well, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for, so make sure the various subsets of parts (M/C, booster and proportioning valve, front calipers and rear wheel cylinders [drum] or rear calipers [disc]) all match each other so you don't have performance issues. Nothing is worse than a car that cannot haul down without pushing the pedal through the floor, or having lock-up with the smallest amount of pedal pressure. Oh, and with four-wheel discs, the pedal always feels soft. It doesn't affect performance, it's just there.

14. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I doubt seriously you can find what you want from the $400 you’re probably looking in the neighborhood of about $700-$800 I would not bother converting to rear disc breaks as my experience as it is not that much of a big deal on cars like ours just switching to the front discs will give you much more stopping capability. Depending on the amount of free time you have it may be easier and quicker to just buy a complete kit so you don’t have to chase down individual parts or go to a junkyard to get a core

15. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I have just spent the last few weeks looking for a front disc brake conversion kit for my 69 F-100, so this is all fresh in my mind.
    I concur with what 59 wagon man said, you're not likely going to find a kit for $400. Also, a kit (although not old school hotrodding) is the quickest/cleanest/easiest way to do the conversion.
    I was in a somewhat similar situation. I planned to eventually upgrade to discs, but it wasn't something I was going to do right away. I had an issue that came up and my hand was forced a bit when I discovered the amount of brake work that was going to be required to get it back on the road. Certainly it was less then the disc conversion, but it didn't make sense (to me anyway) to spend the money on the stock brakes only to replace them in a year or so when they were still perfectly good. So I bit the bullet and ordered the conversion. It was actually one of the less expensive kits, but it's not one that is a hodgepodge of random parts. I am sure you can find a conversion kit specifically for your car, it will be money well spent. It's just going to cost more than $400.