hello from Texas, 69 Kingswood

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by rickwtexas, Mar 31, 2019.

1. rickwtexas

rickwtexas New Member

Someone please buy this before I do (I'm out of room).... wagon3.jpg wagon1.jpg wagon2.jpg . I was out looking for a Pontiac or Olds Wagon (no luck) and I ran across this. A 1969 Chevy Kingswood, original a 400/2 A/C Auto wagon, now has a rebuilt 427/T400. All the chrome is there, no rust thru, some surface and pitting rust, nice glass, sits well, comes with 4 rallys and some extra taillights and emblems etc. Hasn't been driven regularly in 15 years (when it had original motor), last started 3 years ago. Solid project here in central Texas (arlington). Clean Texas title.

My knowledge of Chevys is limited so this is a not a project for me. I know that someone else is wanting to get it to strip out engine and send rest to boneyard, that would be a shame. $1800 seems fair consider the rarity and the motor. Owner (not me) is ready to sell. Email me here I guess. Maybe I can make room... uugghhh.

ModelT1 and fannie like this.
  2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello new member. Welcome. It looks pretty solid for $1,800. That seems to be a good price these days. To me cars are like Jello. You can alway make room. Lol

ModelT1 and fannie like this.
  3. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Of course you can squeeze in one more. And now sounds like a perfect time to learn more about Chevy's...I think it would make you a more rounded person. ;)

:Welcome: glad you found us.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. KenBird

KenBird Active Member

Wow, $1800, fairly rust free and a 427, people would be knocking the door down for that up here. Up here, get it running and a good cleaning that would be 3-4 thousand dollars easy. That's a smokin' deal IMO. Up here, that 427 is worth minimum 3G's. Oh yeah, and welcome to the sight.:slap:, I got a bit excited:).
    Ken.

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Welcome Rick. That looks like a decent car. I'm sure someone will nab it for that price.

6. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Rick. I don’t know if you’ve figured out the vibe of this forum yet, or the character of the people that frequent it, but, if anybody comes on here looking to be talked off the ledge from buying a wagon. FORGET ABOUT IT. In certain cases it can be a questionable call. In this case it seems like a good deal. With available wagons that pop up, it’s like a bunch of fat kids eyeing that last piece of cake. Just grab it and people will be happy for you, and yet a little jealous. Keep us posted. And again welcome!

wagoninsane and ModelT1 like this.
  7. rickwtexas

rickwtexas New Member

yeah it's so tempting, but I am a died-in-the-wool Pontiac guy and it's hard to change your stripes. I have an unfinished 1973 GTO in the garage and both of my kids have bought project cars they need help with. I do need a wagon for parts running that's why I was out looking for a Pontiac wagon - maybe an Olds Vista at the outside. Dang that 427 is a nice looking motor.

ModelT1 likes this.
  8. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :Welcome: to the forum. If you're a Pontiac guy, you can figure out a Chevy. Clean it up, drive it awhile, enjoy it, then trade or sell for some cash to buy a Pontiac.
    Everyone needs a wagon to haul parts in.

9. AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Welcome rickwtexas!

10. rickwtexas

rickwtexas New Member

Turns out its a one owner original 427 wagon. Possibly the best buy I've ever found at $1200. Run well and sounds like a beast with the headers and duals. Proves its worth stopping and knocking on a door.

11. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Hate to say we all told ya so BUT! Oddly enough you’ll probably get into it and wonder why you ever second guessed yourself. If that was a one owner 427 car, you got the Jim Perry sale of The century! - for those old enough to remember that show. Congrats and now it sounds like you’ve got that wagon Poison in your blood. Good deal!

12. rickwtexas

rickwtexas New Member

its one owner, with original Hudiburg dealership invoice, title, and keys. The original buyer passed away 3 years ago and his son rebuilt the engine. Unfortunately he replaced the heads with 454 heads, but he thinks the orig heads are in a shed. Exhaust manifolds are gone though. 9 passengers - perfect for a drive-in theater trip. ) Wish they hadn't peeled the wood applique off the side.

13. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    It would be nice to find what you can from the kid. The rest of it is certainly available. Don’t be totally bummed about the wood. If all that was pristine that wagon would have been through the roof. Paint and wood all in good time. Also, maybe a Chevy owner knows better, but wouldn’t there have been a 427 badge over the front side marker?

14. rickwtexas

rickwtexas New Member

i wondered the same thing about the emblem. I know where there is a 1968 biscayne 2 door under a car port with 427 emblems on fenders. Too bad Chevy didn't embed the actual engine code into the vin. Would the trim tag tell me anything?

15. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Yes. The Vin/data plate underhood numbers will give you the key to power plant, drive train and trim. The emblem with the cubic inch displacement sat atop of the side maker light plate on the ‘69. The ‘68 won’t help you. The side marker plate is sideways, with the displacement in front of the side marker. ‘64? Know ‘65-‘67 were a set of red and white flags, no numbers for the 283. The numbered cars had the flags with a separate number emblem over the flags till you got to 396 and 427’s. Those were scripted in Black below a bigger set of flag scripts. Some had the numbers. Way to much info, but if there is no number on top of the side marker, somebody probably pryed off the numbers. Sadly not uncommon.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019