What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Soooo...are those overpasses U.S. highway or Interstate highway ones? Bonus points to you if they're U.S. highway ones.

2. pyasher

pyasher Well-Known Member

Going to replace the wing window weather striping on the 72 Chevelle Wagon. Also changing back to a side post battery (like GM intended in 72) in hopes of receiving a AACA Grand national award in the spring at Auburn. Chevelle Photo sent to AACA 10-20-18 (1).JPG

101Volts likes this.
  3. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, that is the base of the west side of the Willamette river bridge. It is the convergence of Highway 22 and 99E.
    Just behind me is Wallace road (99E) and I am parked on top of what was once an old wrecking yard back in the 30's.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Ah, yes, an old U.S. highway! I'm familiar with the 99E/W split through Multnomah County, so points for the (former) U.S. highway!

5. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

The sun visors in the Fury have started to deteriorate. For some reason, the passenger side visor was the worst by far.
    It has been held together with binder clips to keep it from completely unraveling. So I took them down to the upholstery shop last week to get recovered.

IMG_E3934.JPG
    He called me today and said they should be done by the end of the week. That's perfect, because the snow is finally melting and I'm itching to take the Fury for it's inaugural cruise of 2019.

6. OrthmannJ

Got the sun visors back today. They look very nice, he did a great job. Now just got to get them reinstalled.

IMG_4069 (Medium).JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    60Mercman and wagoninsane like this.
  7. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Gave it an oil change then removed coolant to replace the thermostat. First gasket was too thin to hold water so I bought 2 more gaskets.

8. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Well - I just got done with the "While I'm there" syndrome. The fan belt was squealing on startup on the 63 CS. This is a 302 roller motor out of a 95-96 Ford Explorer. I had replaced the belt in the past, and also checked the alternator. I noticed some coolant leakage on the back side of the water pump, and it was the only thing left in that belt path, so I got one and replaced it.

Since I had to drain the coolant anyway to replace it, "while I was there" I'll also check the heater core. You have to remove the nuts from the whole blower housing on the outside of the firewall, and drop the unit inside to do that. So I dropped it, got the new heater core (the old one WAS leaking a bit), and replaced it. Wow that whole housing looks pretty shabby - "while I'm there" I may as well clean it, paint it trim black, and clean all the crap out of the inside. Apparently the car had a previous squirrel or rat inside, because there were small acorn hulls EVERYWHERE in the housing. Vacuumed all those too.

Since the heater unit is out, it would provide good access to try and fix the cowl leak that is so common on these cars, so "while I'm there" I'll see about fixing it. I don't want to cut open the cowl from the outside to fix it permanently right now, just want to get it good enough. I used two part epoxy to seal the rusted out holes around the stove pipe fresh air vent, then rubber sealant over that, both inside the cowl and from the underside.

Start to put the heater unit housing back in, and WHAT? There is supposed to be a rubber gasket connecting the fresh air vent to the heater housing. Mine is deteriorated where there is nothing left bu the retaining ring. "While I'm there" I may as well fix that right, so I ordered one from Eckler's/Macs and put it in. Lubricated the cables as best I could, put the whole thing back in, and verified operation of the cables and blower motor.

Tightened everything, checked for leaks, up to operating temp and all is good. Put the jack back under it to get it off the jack stand, notice a wear pattern on the front tires, check the left tire closer, WHAT? Wires showing through? That's not good. I had a recent alignment on it so I m hoping this is a leftover wear pattern from before I put on the disc brake kit. I had it aligned after that install, and everything checked out. So now I gotta get two tires for the front, "while I'm there". :)

ModelT1, 101Volts and wagoninsane like this.
  9. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

Just unwrapped the 85 Mercedes, cleaned it up a bit then fired it up and moved it to the front of the garage, I'll be replacing the water pump, thermostat, voltage regulator and cruise control amplifier before I start driving it next month.

101Volts likes this.
  10. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Those visors look sweet! What happened to the one with the clips holding it together? (stitching worms?) Anyway they do look nice....Longroofs Rule!

101Volts likes this.
  11. Professor

Professor Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    101Volts likes this.
  12. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    That "woodgrain" looks GREAT! Back when we used to make signs, there was a guy in Mt. Airy, NC that gave a woodgraining class. This reminds me of what he would do.

You *ARE* getting there, it's going to look great. :)

101Volts likes this.
  13. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Worked on the thermostat housing on the 90 Grand Marquis again. Got mad any time it leaked coolant even with 2 gaskets; I think I was working too fast even though it may have felt slow. I need a portable freezer to put on my head.

14. KenBird

KenBird Active Member

The Country Squire looks real good Professor, can't wait to see it done.
    Ken.

101Volts likes this.
  15. OrthmannJ

Thanks. The stitching just gave out over time and the cardboard type material covering the visors just started to come apart. These should last for at least another 50 years.

101Volts and ModelT1 like this.