Front sofa sagging

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Twohundred, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    My front sofa is a bit worn down. The cloth is great, its just the stuff below that has deteriorated. My guess is that I just should buy a good quality foam and take the seat apart and replace the foam. But I hate to do it and finding out I need some extra stuff that takes a week or weeks to get. I checked the manual and cant find what the sofa is made from and if there are multiple layers of stuff.
    Any suggestions?

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I'd suggest first showing us the sofa.
    It should be comprised of foam and springs. If you're lucky enough to be sitting on a bench consisting of two bucket type seats with a center armrest, you could trade foam, springs and skin with the right-hand half

3. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I forgot to tell that my car is a Buick Estate Wagon from 1987. But my guess is that all GM and probably all other makes had the similar setup below the cloth of the seats in the 80's.

4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
  5. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I don't think its the springs and its a proper sofa. The cheapest version in a Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon. Car is a low milage car so the cloth is in great condition, its the stuff below that has deteriorated. I'm pretty sure its the 32 year old foam that has given up. My plan is just to buy a good quality foam, remove the seat and take it apart. Then remove the old foam and use as a template cutting the new foam to size and put it back together. My worry is that there could be some other stuff like a second layer cloth or whatever between the springs and the cloth.

6. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looked on your link and I didn't see anything can could help with the seat on an american station wagon. A rice burner is very different from a real estate wagon. ;)

Please don't be offended. I do appreciate your effort to help.

7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    No offense taken. I didn't build the thing. I sometimes do eat rice, though. Never recalled burning it. Using a steamer helps.
    If you have hog rings holding the skins together, at least, re-assembly using cable ties might help. It's extremely difficult to pull the skins together for ringing, otherwise. I start with an outter cable tie and then pull each one gradually. I never pull each one tight, at once. It's sort of like using a pattern for gradual headbolt tightening

Grizz likes this.
  8. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the input when re-assembling. That makes sense. I will surely do it that way. My focus right now is to get the correct materials so when I tear the thing apart I can do everything in one go.

9. peter4821

peter4821 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You may want to check with a local upholstery shop. It was cheaper and ez just to drop it off for a day. They replaced the foam with the seat in the car. It was like $100

10. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thx Peter, I see your point. And I would jump on it right away if in Florida. I live in Sweden and things are very different here. A $100 job easily jumps to $250 with all taxes and fees, VAT alone is 25%. Hardest part though is to find a shop willing to do it. Have just found a store where I can get the foam. So plan is to drive by and ask them what they think is necessary and then buy the material from them.

If the job takes me four hours to do by myself its well worth it, as I would have to work on a regular job for 12 hours to pay a shop.

11. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Be aware that the foam is a special high density variety. It can be sanded and cut with an electric knife to shape it. The foam comes in different densities based on load. We checked into having a special reclining chair custom built. One of the questions they asked was what the weight of the person who would be sitting in it. If a lighter density is chosen than required, it will collapse in very short order and you will be back where you started.

12. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    All of these seats I've taken apart have had a single heavy layer of foam with springs underneath. You can usually take the seat out of the car and look underneath to get an idea. GM was still using hog rings to hold the outer covers on and getting those off isn't overly difficult.

Regarding new foam, the materials of today are supposedly better than 30+ years ago, the hardest part is you'll be forming it yourself. While I know you are reluctant to spend the money, a good local upholstery shop can easily make this - are there no local automotive upholstery shops in your area or in Sweden?

And OldFox is spot on, the density of the foam is important and you'll need to know what kind you want to begin with otherwise it'll collapse again. This is why I'd recommend a shop that does this regularly if you can find one.

13. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I’ve never replaced foam but I have done covers. Putting them back on required a lot of pulling and stretching of the new fabric. My biggest worry would be destroying the 30+ year old fabric when stretching it over your new foam. Then again I’m NOT known for my patience or delicate touch

14. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    A lot of things to consider. Thanks that was exactly what I was hoping for. Will revert with my decision and outcome.

15. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    In other words, 150% tax. We all know why the government needs all that money. Can't you find somebody to upholster the sofa on a private basis?
    That's only because the friendly Rasta-haired woman driving the RV around all day long hasn't fed you your daily dose of dumplings yet