63 mercury colony park 4 barrel carburetor recommendation

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Montereycolonypark, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Montereycolonypark

Montereycolonypark New Member

Thank you for the information Silver twinkie hobo. Well thats a sigh of relief for me that most 390 carbs will fit on another 390. So im in the good( since i took a gamble and bought that 4100). You are definitely correct about it looking clean
    ( also more original). Well i want to thnk you guys for helping me locate the right carburetor for my wagon. Ill post the rebuild process when i get it and a rebuild kit. Thanks again everyone for tips, advice, opinions, and etc...
    Mike

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I once worked on a '63 Galaxie, 390 4-bbl, and that's why I championed that carb, and for one with the correct date code on the tag, because if you clean/dress the engine and compartment, the carb will fit right in. One thing I remember from that Galaxie: if the carb has a heat choke thermostat, there should be a port on the passenger exhaust manifold that the heat tube plugs into. If it doesn't have that port, it's off an engine with a manual choke, so you can have the manual choke, but I'm sure the Mercurys of that time had automatic chokes.

3. Montereycolonypark

Montereycolonypark New Member

What i saw it was a 1.08 carb im getting at 480 cfm. Will it still work even thought it came off a 390 thunderbird? I juat have to ask again because im worried if i boight the wrong carburetor. I read on different forums that 390s had that carb on them for emissions, but i have to ask you guys. Thanks
    Mike

4. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

It won't be a problem on the 390, my 428 came with the same 1.08 venturi size 4100, if you're not constantly driving 100 mph you'll be fine.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Although sometimes, venturi diameter did differ in car lines because of engine displacements, as long as the venturi size was the same and the jetting matched the particulars of an engine (say, heads, intake, cam and exhaust), there should not be a mismatch.

6. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

:naughty: Thou shalt not covet thine customer's car

[​IMG]

OrthmannJ likes this.