What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ALFATAR

ALFATAR Active Member

In Mass with 8 inches after cleaning our walk way we stop by Dunkins Doughnuts on the way to work, School is maybe an hour later. Life goes on.:happy:

Grizz likes this.
  2. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Look into Fluid Film for future corrosion prevention if you haven't already seen it:

[​IMG]

It comes in 5 gallon buckets, too. It's Lanolin (Sheep Oil) and it works great if you've prepped the car to accept it. Make sure there's no crusty rust that can fall off, taking the lanolin with it.

fannie likes this.
  3. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    As for my Wagon, I've been driving it more this year than I think I did in previous years.

[​IMG]

I've also, AFTER taking preventative-against dirt-and-wear measures (blankets, wheel chocks, padding) been transporting the two Terra Trikes in the back for the local bike trails (Suburban's away for rust repair: )

[​IMG]

I lower the seats so they can fit. I take my time putting these in so I also don't mess up the headliner or anything.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    That looks like a Sturmey-Archer gearbox you have there. If you had independent suspension on all wheels, that would be a fun wheelchair for downhilling
    That stuff looks good. Almost like coffee with just cream. How many sheep had to go into the press to get a gallon of that stuff?

5. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    It's a lot thicker than coffee, think more like pancake batter. Couldn't tell you the sheep to gallon ratio offhand, sorry.

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  6. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Lanolin is recovered as a byproduct during the washing process of wool, which contains from 5 - 25% lanolin. It's not pressed from the sheep.

101Volts likes this.
  7. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    I figured it had something to do with the wool. Just kidding (if it wasn't obvious.)

8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I was hoping it was pressed from sheep like they press olive oil. Now that that goo is shampooed out of the wool, I don't want to pour any of it into my coffee again

9. cisco

cisco Member

doing some sheet metal rusted out trunk and spare wheel well

Attached Files:

101Volts likes this.
  10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    101Volts likes this.
  11. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I got home from work today and hubby stopped me in the doorway...he says the body guy (Dana) is delivering the Lil'Sis to us. When Dana called to say the wagon was ready, hubby told him with our work schedule it would be Wednesday before we could get over to pick her up. He says "no worries, if you can drive me back I'll bring her over" so he did. I teased him he was just looking for an excuse to take her for a drive.
    She is all fixed (I hope) with a shiney new MVI on her windshield.
    The rust was worst then we thought, usually is. The frame was rusted up over the wheel well and extended onto the floor, they had to remove he rear interior to make the repairs. She also got two new shocks and a new sway bar. She should be good for a while longer now. I was hoping to get a few pics of the repairs with her on the hoist, but no worries. Guess the new headliner can wait a little bit longer, I don't look up much anyway.

:bouncy:

12. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Good news Fannie. Glad to hear it all worked out.

fannie likes this.
  13. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

I'm about to take the colony park on a trip to look at a mini cooper countryman. It's a 5 hour trip both ways so I thought I'd look into the second fuel tank that was added by the original owner. He disconnected it at some point when he had carb problems. (From sitting in storage) I'd like to have it to use on such long trips. I pulled the wagon onto the lawn to have a look at the fuel line that was hanging up in the axle hump and glanced into the end of my exhaust pipe while getting down. I couldn't believe it but about 4 inches into the tip was a metal screen welded in. It's the factory original exhaust so this was done by FMC. I got a chisel and hammer to knock it out. I was able to break it off at the welds. To my amazement there was a second one welded in a couple inches further. They may as well as stuck a potato in there. What were they thinking. After I got both out I started the car and there was an immediate difference in engine sound and throttle response. It was no louder than before just not weasing from the back pressure. The holes in the mesh are a little less than 3/16. 20180926_164811.jpg

14. Thirsty islander

Thirsty islander Well-Known Member

Some hunks of black steel came out after revving it a few time. Obviously it was putting more back pressure as a result

15. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That's amazing. It was probably some sort of emissions trick they used back then. It sounds like your hammer and chisel have instantly improved your car's performance.

Thirsty islander likes this.