Parking Brake & Gear Shift

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by MAK, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Well, as I said, that was on Mom and Dad. I just inherited the box of powder.

2. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Trusted mechanic:
    1> Lincoln/Mercury dealer - has 1 that can really work on my car - stopped using them because their markup on parts was so over the top - 73% over Rock auto prices
    2> Local independent - great guy - redid the AC last year - loved my car - retired and sold out this past April to a "younger" guy that said he'd work on my car but prefers newer - I didn't do him a favor and let him touch it.
    3> The guy that bought my warehouse racking and forklift from 1 of my stores runs a auto repair facility here in town
    I gave him the car to fix the brake issue - they were doing a valve job on a nice "driver" 67 Dodge Polara convert. when I dropped it off - and as always when I drop the car off there is always a lot of OMG its gorgeous

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

As long as #3 minds his Ps and Qs in charging you, and stays honest, he's your best bet. I've only gone to the local stealership twice, and those were no-charge recall repairs.

4. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Don’t get me started on the dealerships. My wife bought a 07 Camry brand new (before we met) and it’s the biggest hunk of junk. On top of that we took it back for a recall and they tried to get us for almost $3,000. It took me a year and a half of groveling and complaining. Then turned to screaming and threatening to stand outside their dealership wearing nothing but a sandwich board with individual attention to first and last names. Long story short they GUARANTEED our money would be repaid under certain conditions. Those conditions were met to the T. And beyond. Then they wanted to act like Toyota corporate owed us and not Toyota dealership. Like they were completely separate entities. Then they offered me $3000 off a brand new car.......To which I responded “sure, I’ll be down there in a minute but I want the owner to give me that offer PERSONALLY TO MY FACE SO I CAN MAKE HIM EAT EVERY BIT OF IT!!!!!!! Gawd I was pissed. They must have realized we were ramping up for court and we had everything clearly documented because a check came in the mail couple of weeks later. Jeezus my heart skips just thinking about it.:banghead: Besides all that they tried to charge my wife 12 hours diagnostics fee for her ABS module acting up. I called up there and said if they have a tech that needs 12 hours to diagnose something he should pick up woodworking instead of auto mechanics. The crazy thing is they knew exactly what the issue was, as it apparently happens to all these cars. The symptoms are very specific. I bought a new module $600 at o’rielly and swapped it out in literally 5 minutes in the parking lot. They wanted over $2,000 for the same job!!!! Dammit now I have to go take a walk. I’m all fired up:rant2:

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  5. Silvertwinkiehobo

Uh, I didn't mean to stoke the anger furnace. Just breathe deep through your nostrils, hold for five seconds, then let out slowly through your mouth, and repeat twice.

Grizz likes this.
  6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    What would you expect, when they started manufacturing cars which one couldn't repair without expensive diagnostic gadgets and factory schooling? Our 2000 Mondeo wagon started acting up and I thought that the electronic engine management was out of whack. It turned out to be a spark plug wire which got chewed on by a weasel. It was difficult to detect, by the naked eye. But, that certainly wasn't the first time something like that entered the shop. They socked it to my then wife, by footing a bill for lengthy diagnostic time, an unasked for oil top-off and new sparkplugs, among other unnecessaries. She didn't want to challenge it. But, I scanned the bill and posted it in a Ford forum. Which should have put a dent in their racket

7. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I went to the dealer and expressed my concern over their mark-up, was told that is there markup and that what they charge the sales floor on new cars. I explained to him that the internal billing has nothing to do with outside customers and I completely understand high billing within an organization - di it with my stores all the time CO x changes Co y $$$$.
    Depending on how the Company's are structured and how the invoices are submitted it is possible for both Company's to claim as and expense or cost on their taxes. A lot of dealers have their services set up as different company's. Book keeping nightmare but effective tax reduction. PS have enough tax loss carry over to last next 6 years, based on current income.
    could be longer if I don't go back to work. gee a positive note to owning Sears stores.

ok back to dealer, his last comment said it all - "you can choose to go somewhere else"

8. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Did you take your car to the dealership for that brake job? That seem reasonably priced to me. I feel like there might be some dealerships that do business in an honest fashion absent of greed. Just not RIVERGATE TOYOTA. There I said it. Bunch of snakes. Here’s a good one. I called the service writer into the office one of the times I went up there concerning the $ they guaranteed me. I said “kelly, you were there when we made the arrangements. Tell them ya’ll told me I would get my money back.” You know what she said?!?! “I said you SHOULD get your money back, not WOULD.” Wow.... in all fareness the customer service rep. Was extremely nice, respectful, and always returned my daily phone call. Which is the way I like it when I’m being bent over.

9. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Grizz
    when 1st got the car , yeah went to the dealer, labor rate was more than reasonable, service guy was great. It's when they charged me $79.00 for the OEM shocks that I questioned their parts prices, asked if they put Motorcraft ($61.00 each) shocks on, no the put Monroe's on ($17.00 Rock Auto prices for both) that's when I really pushed the issue - not mad but truly felt taken. Last time I went there, Service guy still called every 6 months checking if I needed work done, till I told him not coming back unless they lowered their parts markup. Transmission check up - took to an independent that only does trans work, and knew all about the throttle body grommet, then went to Jerry's service till he sold out - now trying a new guy.
    We will see, and I didn't think that the price was outrageous he has about 100 bucks in parts and the rest labor - take off all old ( we know that can be a pain) replace with new, bleed system, test car - its not a quick job or clean - so I if I did it what am I going to save? Nothing, would buy me more aggravation than I can handle right now, plus I don't like doing auto mechanics, never have, I like body work. kind of like a chef doesn't like to bake and a baker doesn't like to cook - each can do it but they don't like it!

10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    That's the first time I've ever read about dealers selling aftermarket parts. Where have I been. Well, I guess if 2 Made in Chinas can get marked up to Motorcraft prices for 1 each, the temptation is hard to resist

11. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Here’s a good one which made me feel good about all other bad shop experiences. I was at a car show/swap meet this weekend and I overheard a guy talking on the phone he says “ok, ok, hold on, just calm down. Let’s play out the scenario. I’ll be him and you be you. He’s gonna call your shop and say ‘hey man, I just want $250 and I want my dog back!’” :rofl2:How? Why? So many questions I wanted to ask but he didn’t think it was funny

12. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    ok everyone got the CP back yesterday
    total cost $784.49 for complete brake line replacement front & back, Master cylinder and bleeder valves.
    Mechanic sent me a video of back line leaking, cant seem to upload? anyway they said it took over 3 hours to get the old lines and bleeder valves off, totally rusted on, not surprised they original to the car. A little higher than I expected but not the end of the world. still wouldn't want to do it myself.

Drove the car for the 1st time in 6 months it was great.

13. Silvertwinkiehobo

I bet it was! How does she ride?

14. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    drove all over in town today, quick hop on the highway, deserted stretch tested brakes stomped on them going 60 - broke straight no pulling, huge relief
    was terrific to drive the yacht
    still feel that the steering could be tighter, outside of shocks all the steering and front suspension is original,
    but I am comparing this to and Audi and a Mercedes , which isn't fair