What was Wagonmaster Thinking?

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by tbirdsps, Aug 5, 2009.

  1. tbirdsps

    tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2006
    Messages:
    5,340
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Ridgecrest, Ca.
    It's interesting how these Forums have turned out. Wagonmaster has a fairly new station wagon or two. I apparently was the 25th member and by then the forums had already been populated by "older" wagons. We do have a few newer wagon owners here but we don't hear from them much. Maybe we scare them off with our old car stories and problems and resotration issues.:slap:

    I personally like to hear about mods and other things with newer cars.:anyone:

    But, what was Wagonmaster thinking when he started all this? Newer Volvos's and Mazda 5s or what. I'm sure he'll post and answer this mystery.:You_Rock_Emoticon:

    No other station wagon site or forums seems to be a popular and active as this one. I like this site.:yippee:

    The ASWOA Club has no forums:(
    The International Station Wagon Association has no forums:(
    Wagonators.com is a forum but mostly compact modern imports and Escorts.

    Anyhow. Thanks Wagonmaster for keeping this forum going.:tiphat:
     
  2. Stormin' Norman

    Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
    Messages:
    19,625
    Likes Received:
    34
    Trophy Points:
    813
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Good points all, TBird. I don't even look anymore. I use others for tech info sometimes, but this is home.

    I think the older wagons have style, history back to the covered wagon and stories we can recall. Maybe that was his goal. A home for the Homeless wagon vagabonds.:rofl2:
     
  3. Senri

    Senri Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2008
    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    112
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Beverwijk, The Netherlands
    Maybe we don't hear so much from modern wagon owners, because they have no problems...... :hide:
     
  4. TopherS

    TopherS Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    Messages:
    377
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    60
    Location:
    Portland, Oregon
    Funny you brought that up today, TBird.

    I was reviewing some posts on the Park Avenue forum this morning and noticed that it is full of nothing more than "I got this problem with my car, now who knows what it is?" posts. There's no real banter on there, just a few replies, if you're lucky. There's also no feeling of support at all.

    This forum is definitely like a family, but you get to pick this family :D.

    So, thanks, Wagonmaster!
     
  5. HandyAndy

    HandyAndy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Messages:
    3,734
    Likes Received:
    22
    Trophy Points:
    158
    Location:
    Winterpeg
    Ya when was the last time we heard from a Taurus wagon owner here? :rofl:
     
  6. Stormin' Norman

    Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
    Messages:
    19,625
    Likes Received:
    34
    Trophy Points:
    813
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Hey! How are you!?!?! Long time no see.(y) :):wave:

    Most of the 'moderns' are under 35, and their cars under 5 years old. They can't touch them until the warranty is up, and they probably can't afford the computer setup to diagnose them. Payments are high. :evilsmile: :biglaugh:
     
  7. wagonmaster

    wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    May 6, 2006
    Messages:
    13,235
    Likes Received:
    2,552
    Trophy Points:
    1,122
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    When I stared this forum, my intention was to cover all wagons, regardless of the year and where they came from. However, I thought that discussions would center more around newer wagons. I did not know that there was such a following for classic wagons!

    I am really happy the way this forum has turned out. The forum has a high caliber membership, everyone gets along with each other and are willing to help others. :tiphat: I have also learned a lot about wagons over the past three years, thanks to the members of the forums.
     
  8. wixom61

    wixom61 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    Messages:
    2,555
    Likes Received:
    19
    Trophy Points:
    111
    Location:
    Dallas
    I think that for a lot of us, the large American wagons of the 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's are the vehicles we grew up with. They evoke the wonderful memories of the past, and make us happy to have something beautiful, useful and tangable from those times. :bouncy:

    Most of today's smaller wagons just don't do that for me. I might as well be interested in a new washing machine...just an appliance.

    I also must admit a bit of a bias against foreign makes...and since the domestic brands have all but abandoned the true wagon, the ones that are still being made hold little interest for me. :huh:


    I really enjoy this fun forum...thanks Stefan!
     
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  9. a1awind

    a1awind Tiki God

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2008
    Messages:
    3,329
    Likes Received:
    8
    Trophy Points:
    110
    Wagon Garage:
    2
    Location:
    Ellwood city Pa
    :cheers: here here!
     
  10. Senri

    Senri Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2008
    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    112
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Beverwijk, The Netherlands
    I am fine Norman, thanks for asking. I have been lurking around here in the past half year, but not involved. Because of the selling of the Caprice and no real prospect for a new classic, I had to find another hobby to put my energy in (next to rebuilding the house...). So I am now much involved in classic bicycles. Less costs, I can do it in my little shed and because I also ride them, I am certainly more fit!

    I really would like to get my hands on a classic wagon (and I have seen plenty for sale here), but I can't sell my wagon for decent money at this moment and I need my savings for some rebuilding of the house.

    Sorry to be off topic guys, but you are all right. There is just not so much to tell about newer wagons and certainly not with the passion as for a classic!
     
  11. Stormin' Norman

    Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
    Messages:
    19,625
    Likes Received:
    34
    Trophy Points:
    813
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Me too, in House Reno mode.

    Did you see the posts about the old wooden Red Flyer Wagons for kids? Was that ever popular in Europe? Maybe a good sideline with classic bicycles?

    Good to see you come by. I'd like to chat with you about some new appliance designs in Europe when you have a chance, especially the domestic steam ovens. Sounds like one heck of an idea. Bosch have them, but I'd like to know who else, how long it's been around for homes, etc.

    Also, we have a few Bosch appliances, and my wife wants the Washer/Dryer set up in the kitchen under the counter. The dryer is a condensing dryer, no outside vent required, but I wondered if you knew how best to reduce the washer vibration, etc.
     
  12. Senri

    Senri Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2008
    Messages:
    704
    Likes Received:
    9
    Trophy Points:
    112
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Beverwijk, The Netherlands
    We will talk about the domestic stuff, but maybe better in the general section? I didn't see the red flyer topic, but my son is riding a Radio Flyer Tricycle! (y)
     
  13. Stormin' Norman

    Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
    Messages:
    19,625
    Likes Received:
    34
    Trophy Points:
    813
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Yeah, down in the Lounge section. I had one of those trykes too! Neat!
     
  14. Krash Kadillak

    Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    Messages:
    21,109
    Likes Received:
    2,062
    Trophy Points:
    798
    Wagon Garage:
    1
    Location:
    Springfield, Oregon
    I'm hoping a few years down the road we'll have enough members to set up separate make/model specific sections. We could do that now for a few...

    -- Fox bodies
    -- Big Fords, mid 60's
    -- GM box wagons
    -- Cadillac-powered Pacers
     
  15. wixom61

    wixom61 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    Messages:
    2,555
    Likes Received:
    19
    Trophy Points:
    111
    Location:
    Dallas
    That AMC-adillac Pacer is, indeed, in a class by itself! :bouncy:
     

Share This Page