supplemental restraint system bags

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Fred Kiehl, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was at the local LKQ P-N-P yard the other day, and they have a sign posted saying that they are no longer selling SRS bags. I assume that is because of the issues with the Japanese air bags. I just wanted to give everybody a heads up, to the effect that other yards will probably follow suit in short order. If you need an airbag, don't wait too long, or you may not be able to get one.

I converted my cars to aftermarket steering wheels and no longer have airbags. That may soon be the only recourse if yours goes off.

101Volts likes this.
  2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I'm more worried about getting myself to go off. The airbag's got its own thing going

Grizz likes this.
  3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the notice, Fred.

Whether it's a recalled unit or not, I can certainly understand a yard's reluctance to sell an airbag unit, and having an unknown risk out there. Very hard to 'test' whether a unit is good or not. Generally though, the devices themselves are simple in operation - provide a voltage through a switch, which starts a chemical reaction, and BAM, your air bag goes off. It's the complication in the sensors that's the hard part.

4. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

Great fun at parties where you Krash? o_O

5. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Back around 1995, I did know a guy (through my work) that was part of a company that did air bag replacements in So Cal - a vendor, I guess you could say. Had a lot of knowledge on how the systems work. I invited him to my Church Men's Group monthly meeting to do a demonstration........blew a bag about 40 feet in the air.

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I hope it was Honey Boo's mother who he attempted to send into orbit

7. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Well, there are videos on the internet showing some goofballs being launched in the air from an air bag activation, but the guy I used pointed the business end DOWN, so the bag basically launched itself.

8. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

I wonder what the ramifications with the insurance company are if you get injured in an accident after removing your air bag and installing an aftermarket steering wheel?

9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Interesting question. If anything, it might be the same as not switching the passenger bag on with someone in that seat.

"If you refer to your wife and mother-in-law as 'dual airbags,' you might be a Redneck."

Marshall, the dealer shops usually have specific test units for testing the airbag systems on older ones without self-test capability. Newer ones are accessible through a scan tool with the correct connector and software. Pinpoint testing the system is like working on a missile system (for which I've worked on in the Navy)--you disconnect the circuits for the squib firing (chemical reactions started with an electrical signal always use an initiator, such as a squib, blasting cap, etc.), then connect a dummy load across the firing circuit's connector, trigger the sensors, and confirm the dummy load reacts immediately. Sometimes, with self-test, it'll be very clear as to the problem, so a pinpoint test is not required, such as an open in the squib circuit, you confirm both connectors to the clockspring are attached, and if after that the code comes back, it's natural to assume the clockspring is bad.

10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    The following goofball Beavis & Butthead types, speaking a horrible hybrid of French, launch roadkill, somewhere in Quebec: