How's your MPG?

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy & Emissions' started by Stormin' Norman, Aug 12, 2008.

1. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I did. But, I'm commenting on before the new radiator was installed and before I broke the drain-cock.

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    OH! So you had to put new antifreeze in the new radiator along with a new drain cock after you put new antifreeze in the old radiator.
    Hopefully everything is okay and operating like it should now.

101Volts likes this.
  3. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    Close. At first I was just running the wagon on water and a cleaning solution, and then the drain cock broke. After that I replaced the radiator and put new fluid in. The new radiator came with a new drain cock but not a thermostat or radiator cap.

And, It is working except for the thermostat area which is still leaking a bit. I'm gradually adding more concentrated coolant to bring the low-temperature level down.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    You better get that thermostat housing gasket fixed before cold weather or you'll be adding antifreeze all winter, plus getting it all over the engine.

101Volts likes this.
  5. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    I'm not planning on driving it in the winter around here, but I can see the point. Thanks.

6. bambusbjoern

bambusbjoern Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    1975 Pontiac Grand Safari
    350 TBI
    20W50, new coolant-temperature-sensor and new oxygen sensor

highway - 21.4mpg (at 55-60mph)
    combined - around 15mpg

101Volts likes this.
  7. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    New update.

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis w/302
    5w30 Castrol Magnatec Oil
    75w90 Gear Oil
    Mercon V ATV
    Roof Rack Still Installed
    35 or 45 PSI in Tires (depending if the brakes felt draggy; it doesn't seem to change much for F.E.)

19.x MPG Combined (Right about on target with the EPA)

I sometimes thought of installing an electric fan to increase mileage by 1-2 MPG and get a touch more power from the engine. I'd probably buy a used fan from another car (Ford Taurus might be one) though.

ModelT1 likes this.
  8. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    Does the engine run hot or where it should be, in the middle? A hotter engine has more power than a cold engine.
    We found that a Ford Tauras electric fan fits many radiators, is cheap, and is quit powerful. But it won't increase fuel mileage unless you turn off the engine and run on fan air power.

9. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    It doesn't overheat, the needle stays around the O in Normal (more to the left) most of the time though that doesn't tell much, does it? Mine has the speedometer for the last few years of the Grand Marquis.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Taurus fan. I've been interested in an electric fan for a quicker warmup (it's already fairly fast but still, every bit counts) and for the perk that at highway speeds, the fan should shut off instead of being on constantly. I know the questionable part of the temperature gauge; ideally it should be inside the cooling system, not sticking in the radiator fins like some of the kits I've seen.

ModelT1 likes this.
  10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    So 101, you are planning on removing the mechanical fan for an electric fan? If your engine is not running hot it's not worth the bother. If your wagon has an engine fan clutch it free wheels the fan anyway until the oil in it gets thin.
    As for electric fan probes, most were first designed to slip into the upper radiater hose but many of those leaked coolant. I've always just stuck the probe into an upper radiator fin and the readings seemed fine.

101Volts likes this.
  11. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    It's more of a thought than anything else.

I suppose there's a way to stop the leaking from happening as long as the person uses a metal piece with the sensor in it that the hose(s) clamp to.

ModelT1 likes this.
  12. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    At one time those sensor kits came with a thin rubber seal. I can't remember if they did later. The seal, sort of looking like a thick piece of black tape, fit snuggly over the probe tube.
    For me, just sliding the probe in the upper radiator fins did fine.

101Volts likes this.
  13. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    You ever though about a more efficient fan/clutch like those I've seen in the racing catalogs? I know for sure that jegs has several different styles for our 5.0. I thought about doing this just for "s's & g's" when my fan clutch needed replacing. gas mileage has never been a concern of mine. If fact I've found that usually the car that drinks the most is usually the most fun to drive. I have the option of driving the kids around in an 08' Toyota, but I always take the time to switch out the car seats to the cp! And It ain't cause It saves me money!!!

101Volts likes this.
  14. 101Volts

Wagon Garage:
    I hadn't. I didn't know that such fan clutches even exist for some strange reason, thanks for that.

I suppose that's due to the length and ride quality, there's nothing quite like the lack of a road feel in a Wagon so long as you're alert. (I know they can be so cozy and sometimes people might wonder "hey, how did I get up to 90 MPH?" on interstates.)

I have read (for cars which this applies to; it may not apply to our wagons) that a set of fuel injectors with more holes (12 instead of 4 for for better atomization) will give higher fuel efficiency (link below.) I don't suppose it's a massive difference in F.E. Still, if you need them anyway it might not be a bad choice if they're available.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fuel-injector-change-fe-35387.html

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  15. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah check it out. My post was a little confusing. I think the main thing is the actual fan, they have some with bigger more efficient fins, and maybe also clutches as well. They also might bolt up with your existing clutch. The main thing is they look COOL. I've thought about replacing my intake with a cobra intake, I know it increases horsepower which I value more than MPG

101Volts and ModelT1 like this.