Bagging an 86 Olds Custom Cruiser

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by TylerTJ, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I'd find I nice corner in the garage and start tearing it down, you got good bumpers, the whole front clip, that motor, anything worth sacrificing for your other Pontiac. Then start cleaning and organizing everything, you never know when some jack wagon will slam into you in the parking lot somewhere and it will be nice to have parts clean and ready to replace. Drag racer would be cool but racing gets expensive. Any extra car money you have continue to polish that bagged safari . Or.... buy a motorcycle!!!:LOL::thumbs2:

2. TylerTJ

TylerTJ Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Haha, it's bagged Custom Cruiser, not a Safari!o_O Not a whole lot of parts are the same on the Safari, so I'll probably sell most of them. It would be nice to cut the quarter panels out just in case. The frame is pretty rusty and the interior is trashed, so I guess it is worthy of being a parts car :(

3. TylerTJ

TylerTJ Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Found it on Craigslist for $300. The guy said if it didn't sell that day, he was gonna haul it off to the crusher :( so, I talked him down to $150 delivered, and there we have it. A filthy Safari Wagon with potential, but I don't have the money to restore another wagon. It breaks my heart, but it's going to have to be scrapped, and forgotten:(

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

Bummer.
    Does it run?

5. TylerTJ

TylerTJ Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    It runs great, but reverse is out.

6. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Wow Tyler..sorry, guess I should pay more attention here huh? I made an assumption. The ol' cliche needn't be applied here, I got it. Good for you! Thank you for rescuing one of our own from the jaws of the crusher or dare I say... the demolition derby.:yikes: That's the difference between blasting ol yeller or handing him over to Micheal Vick:whew: your a hero either way.:thumbs2: Now, let's get down to business shall we? I suggest you start with finding a little post here on the ol' SWF in the car shows section, under the title "redneck rumble!" there you'll find at least 70 different pictures all designed to offer inspiration to fellow wagonites just like you, me, and yourselfo_O. Also as a side note we are holding a discussion on said pictures under the title "let's talk about it" where we discuss our favorite parts of the show that no one attended but me so you all have to take my word for it. Feel free to attend :bs::disagree::bouncy:

Oh yeah, and before you do all that, why don't you start with the water hose and a couple a scrub brushes!!! And after that.... more pics please!

ModelT1 likes this.
  7. OrthmannJ

Looking back, I think you mentioned that earlier. Sorry I missed it.
    It would be a shame to see it disassembled for parts or crushed, but sometimes cars like this can be a money pit.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  8. TylerTJ

TylerTJ Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    IMG_2182.JPG IMG_2180.JPG IMG_2186.JPG

ModelT1 and Grizz like this.
  9. OrthmannJ

It actually looks pretty good all cleaned up.
    I like the last photo with the tire and wheel leaned up against it. It never ceases to amaze me how simply installing a tire and wheel combo can completely change the look of a vehicle.

ModelT1 likes this.
  10. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Wow!!! It looks great! So glad you saved this one!:thumbs2:

11. TylerTJ

TylerTJ Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sadly, you guys only saw the good parts:( IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2190.JPG IMG_2191.JPG

ModelT1 likes this.
  12. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    still not that bad. Now is the time to try your hand at some custom interior. Like this repurposed porch swing! IMG_2733.JPG

13. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I've met women like that. Once you get to the good parts you find out there are no good parts!

Still for the price of this wagon it's not that bad as a project. I've seen others start with much worse and made bad parts gooder.
    Sell it to someone who can't afford an expensive driver and someone who wants a hands-on learning experience. No car has to be perfect or fully restored so this wagon could be on the road with some cleaning, paint, and even Indian blankets.

Hopefully you can save it from the scraper and the demo derby.:yikes:

Grizz likes this.
  14. TylerTJ

TylerTJ Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Don't forget the broken transmission, fried electronics, rust holes in the frame, and a permanent smell of mold. I know it doesn't look bad in the pictures, but it is bad. I wouldn't send it to the crusher. Id part it out as much as I possibly could first.

ModelT1 likes this.
  15. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I had an 86 Mercedes 300td years ago that the reverse gear went out on. This is no big deal! Unless you leave the bar with a "10" only to find out in the morning that she's barely a "3" so you quietly sneak out of sleeping booty's house only to realize you've parked your car with no reverse inside a garage at the bottom of a steep incline. Then you have to go back inside, wake her up and politely ask for help pushing it back out of the garage. She will not be happy about this so make some coffee and fry up some bacon so it looks like your not a total jerk

ModelT1 likes this.