Roof rack question

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by zzzizxz, Jun 23, 2017.

1. zzzizxz

zzzizxz Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi all,

I've got a 1981 Pontiac Bonneville, and I'm wondering if anyone has any technical information on the roof rack.
    I've used it to haul some few things, and probably the heaviest thing I've carried on it has been a canoe.

When I load the canoe on it, there seems to be a fair amount of flex in the roof rack cross bars, and there doesn't seem to be any structural support inside the roof of the car for the roof rack supports.

For camping, it sure would be nice to have a roof-top tent, but I don't want to collapse the roof, or break the rack.

Does anyone know what the max load on those racks were when new? Also, has anyone ever had any issues with putting things on the roof?

Specific numbers, anecdotes, crazy stories are all welcome,

Thanks!

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've gone through my entire owner's manual and the index, and I can't find any reference to capacity on the roof rack, other than a mention that any weight should be loaded as far forward as possible. Only thing of any consequence I've hauled on my rack has been a queen bed mattress and box spring, and with that, it was more a wind resistance issue than a weight issue. I actually strapped it down with the front straps running through the rear door window openings.

3. Leadslead

Leadslead Well-Known Member

I haven't owned my wagon long enough to have any real experience with the roof rack, but here's the Griswolds' experience with their wagon.

4. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Z - do you have an owner's manual? If not, I could scan mine for you, send it to you in digital format.

5. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I believe the max is 200lbs, used to load a Sears x-cargo to the top of my 80; Bonneville; 82 Crown Vic & 89 Colony Park
    and some where in the distant past - I recall that was the number. Its is not the weight standing still that is the issue it's the pressure on the contact points where the rack attach's to the roof at speed that causes the problem. I wouldn't go over 100lbs on m 85 Colony park today - age isn't kind

6. zzzizxz

zzzizxz Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    KK, No, I don't have any books or papers for the car. I'd love to have anything you'd care to share. Thank you!

7. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

My thoughts on the luggage rack capacity on these cars. I had a '73 Custom Cruiser until a couple of years ago, and it had a roof rack.

1. These luggage racks are as much decoration as they are practical.

2. There's all kinds of canoes out there, so saying that the heaviest thing you've put on the rack is a canoe doesn't tell us much.

3. I've looked up a few canoes online, and most seem to weigh in the 80 to 120 lb range, which is not very much.

4. I don't think these luggage racks were meant to support objects as much as they were meant to contain objects. I think the safest way to use these racks is to put the cargo inside the rack on the roof itself and use the rack to hold the tie-downs. In doing it this way, the load is spread across the roof surface, rather than being confined to the few points where the rack is bolted to the roof. The latter puts a lot of stress on those few attaching points in addition to the stress on the cross-bars.

Here's an example of what I think is the correct way to use a luggage rack on these wagons. Note how the load is completely inside the rack. Nothing is resting on the rails.

12f38420f206b64b3652_20.jpg

8. jaxops

jaxops Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Jaunty is right. Also- on my 1989 Crown Vic, the roof is not exactly as sturdy as the ol' 1960s Fords. I wouldn't do too much there. A cargo box inside the rails is probably best. I used one on my 1983 AMC Concord SW. The only issue I had was the whistling sound it made, causing a NY State Trooper to try and ticket me for speeding because "it sounded like I was speeding..."

9. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    When I was a kid (in the '70's), we did a lot of camping as a family. The heaviest thing my dad every put on the roof rack of our '76 Caprice Estate were our folding sleeping cots (4) securely tied down of course. Together, they probably weighed less than 40lbs. Our wagon was a six-seater, so we had that huge storage space under the floor, where dad would pack our suitcases/tent and other heavier cargo.

10. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    OK, I'll scan the items and put them in .pdf format.
    Message me your e-mail, so I can send it to you. I'm a little busy for the next few days, so it might be 10 days or so.......