And then there were two........1966 Country Squires

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Professor, May 10, 2017.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

OK, I retract my original statement...you keep them both! This one has a gorgeous blue interior; the only thing I see is the carpeting needs some kind of care/work. If a thorough shampooing doesn't restore the blue, dyeing it or replacing it would be necessary. The rest of the interior and the wood grain/trim is in good to excellent condition; you would just have to address the paint and minor rust issues.

2. dennis

dennis Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Professor , your one lucky fella to have 2 rare 66 longroofs and if you are in a position to keep both for now and see which one works out best as its my understanding these are not for sale on every street corner in the USA . :thumbs2: its been a while :cheers: from Downunder

3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Memories.....
    I was soon to be 15 when the '66 new cars came out in September, 1965. I think it was the summer of 1966, and we had two cars in the family - my step-mothers' 1963 Ford Falcon Futura 4-door sedan (red, 170, auto), and the newer 1965 Chevy Nova wagon (blue, 283, auto). The original tires on the Nova wore out pretty quickly, so dad bought a cheap set of retreads. We were on those tires on a summer day going down to Disneyland when the left rear blew out. (The wagon was overloaded - seats full, plus my step-brother and me in the back as 'cargo'). Seems after that, mom blamed the Nova, and not the tires for the incident (this is on reflection...) Didn't know the folks were 'car shopping'. One day in late summer, they show up with a new yellow '66 Caprice Custom wagon. Now that would seem rather spiffy, but this Caprice wagon was rather devoid of equipment - only power steering and brakes, 327 with PG - NO A/C!

Anyways, Folks didn't acknowledge my car savvy-ness at this time. I wasn't consulted. If I were, I would have told them straight out that the Ford Country Squire would have made a lot better choice...... But at the time, my dad was a 'Chevy man'.

Personally, I think the '66 Squire looks the best of all the mid to late 60's Squires.

Professor likes this.
  4. Mercomatic

Mercomatic Member

Wagon Garage:
    Personally i don´t know anybody who had health or other problems from owning two Country
    Squires ;)
    Knowing how hard it is to find even a nice 66 with a 390 engine which was not rotten down
    over the years or equiped with 22" wheels :cold: i strongly recomend you to keep both or sell
    one very cheap to me.
    428 equiped Ford Wagons from 1966, think no 60s Ford can beat this.

The left quarter panel looks very similar to one of mine. Think this results from dirt around
    the gas tank area. Have you had any luck in finding a NOS one? I found one for 67 or 68 but
    no 66 ever.

5. Mercomatic

Mercomatic Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think this interior colour of the primer car is aqua, isn´t it?

6. Professor

Professor Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The interior color of the primered car is tan/beige. 9735935136_d7f9210369_k.jpg

7. Professor

Wagon Garage:
    Hey Meromatic. Yes, they are rare. Most were equipped with the 390 engine (which is no slouch). I imagine there are very few vehicles, Ford included, that could beat the 428 engines. I think they were rated at 345hp and 453 ft lbs of torque.

The left rear quarter on the primered car had some pinholes in it. The right was fine. We were unable to find a quarter panel for a wagon at all, much less an NOS one. We ended up using one form a two door by cutting and welding.

Thanks Dennis. I'm not sure what will happen, but for now, they both have a home. You don't find a '66 Country Squire or Country Sedan for sale very often.

8. Professor

Wagon Garage:
    I agree. And these two cars were equipped with some "firsts". It was the first year for the "Magic Tailgate" which opened two ways. It was the first year for the 428 engine. And it was the first year for Kelsey Hayes Four Piston Power Disc Brakes. It was a good year for Ford.

9. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Trade the shabby one for a pristine '67 or '68 sleepy front clip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then go gear-jamming:

10. Silvertwinkiehobo

George Thorogood fan?

11. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Dennis Weaver hater and George Thorogood video and gearjam fan.

12. Silvertwinkiehobo

What did Dennis Weaver ever do to you?o_O BTW, there's only one of those 'Needlenose' Petes from 'Duel' currently running; all the others you see are knock-offs.

13. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Dennis Weaver failed to end the film the way I'd expect. Unforgivable deed it's.

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

Blame Steven Spielberg. He wrote and directed it. Weaver was just collecting a paycheck.

15. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Weaver should have thrown that rattlesnake at Spielberg, instead. That poor gearjammer driving that Zombie truck was also just collecting a check. He likely earned a lot less for working alot harder in that film.