Portable garages

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by OldFox, Mar 27, 2017.

1. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

I have my Pontiac inside one of those portable garages 10' x 20' that Harbor Freight sells. It's been up for going on 3 years now and has held up in all kinds of weather and winds.

We had a storm come thru at 4am this morning with heavy rains. As the back end of the storm front moved thru, I could hear the roar of heavy, straight line winds. Went out later and it had ripped the roof off the garage. We had a couple of hours until the next wave of storms would come thru, so I went to Tractor Supply and bought a blue tarp and some rope. Hauled out my tent pegs and recovered the thing. Right now it looks like New Orleans after hurricane Katrina.

It's only going to be a temporary repair, but I'm going to have to drive into Memphis and buy another garage just the get the roof part. The bummer is that they were just on sale for $149 and I had a 20% off coupon too.

2. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have a neighbor that bought one had it up for 3 or 4 years then sold it to my other neighbor. A few weeks ago we had some really strong winds come through, picked it up and set it on a pine tree! Went over to help him out, took 3 hours + to get it out of the tree and set it back up! Only bent one of the roof poles! amazing so must be pretty durable! Thinking of buying one for my self to cover up some of my toys....Longfoofs Rule!

Doghead likes this.
  3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I'd bought two of the vinyl carports from Tractor Supply while in Florida. $100 each on sale! Two 10X20 with 2' between went on the cement in front of the 2 1/2 car garage. The fronts tucked under the garage overhang. I filled 5 gal buckets with cement and put 2"PVC pipes in cement . I mounted the poles in those using long bolts in case a storm came up and I wanted to move them. Like a fool a few times it was easier to just remove the vinyl tops.
    I even had bungy guy wires down from each pole.
    Those lasted at least 4 to 5 years before the sun ruined the vinyl. It was nearly as cheap to just buy two more complete car ports on sale around $125 next time than just the vinyl top. One of those came down before moving, in the edge of a hurricane.
    To me they did a decent job. Make nice shade and rain protection when working on cars.
    Thinking about one here in Illinois for my Impala in front of garage. I figure just sand in 5 gal buckets this time. We've had some 40+ MPH winds.

4. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

I had a friend buy one from Tractor Supply and he bought some old style tent pegs and anchored it down held for 2 years. So he ended up making a garage from free wood from craigslist

5. GN300

GN300 Tipmaster G

Mine was tucked close to the garage and under a big tree well protected.

Attached Files:

• 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      82 KB
      Views:
  6. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    When Tractor Supply had them on sale for $100 they were a good buy if the poles were anchored in 5 gal buckets of cement and extra guy wires added. I used cement blocks filled with cement. Those kind of shelters were without ends or sides.
    The wind and sun is rough on them. Some of those metal 10X20 carports are under $1000 and seem to last forever, or until a tornado.

7. Roadking41A

With all the heavy winds here in Okie Land those portable garages are a waste of money. Lots of high winds, they call it a breezy day if the winds are blowing less than 25 mph

8. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Dude, all those damn Okie winds end up in Memphis. I wish you'd keep them there. We've got 25mph winds today gusting to 40 mph. My blue tarp is holding so far and my new garage comes in tomorrow so I should make it OK.

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. Roadking41A

I'll send you more wind

10. ModelT1

Wagon Garage:
    We have some pretty good winds blowing here in central Illinois too. We'll send some south and they can all meet around Memphis at some BBQ joint.

11. Roadking41A

I will eat more beans

wagoninsane and millsy like this.
  12. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Lil Sis has been stored in our storage tent over two winters now, we like it. It is pretty protected on three sides by the house, the garage and a fence. We don't leave it up all summer because it blocks our garage and is in the way.

Storage tent 1.jpg Storage tent 2.jpg Storage tent 3.jpg Storage tent 4.jpg

ModelT1 likes this.