1973 Ford- Radio Flyer Wagon Promotion Info

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by gpd294, Jul 5, 2009.

1. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Well this was way back when we lived in Gary, Indiana and I remember the newspaper was Chicago's Post Tribune. When I get a chance, I'll do a lil research and see if they are still in business or try and figure out who still prints the newspaper up there. Thanks for the lead. :dancing:

2. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Post-Tribune Request

I sent an email to Rich Cains, Post-Tribune Advertising Manager, I hope I get a response...

Here is the email I sent:

"Dear Mr Cains,

Back in 1973 My dad bought a brand new Ford Torino Station Wagon from McAnary Ford in Gary, Indiana. As a promotion, I am assuming, with the Radio Flyer toy wagon corporation for 1 cent more you could purchase a wooden toy wagon. The reason I say it was a Radio Flyer wagon is because I remember the wagon looking very similar to the "Earth Wagon" Radio Flyer sells today. I was only two years old when this purchase was made.

I have tried contacting FORD to see what literature they may have archived in reference to this promotion, but they advised they did not have any due to these type promotions were the regional dealerships responsibility. FORD did suggest I contact McAnary FORD in Gary, IN, for assistance, but unfortunately they have been closed since 1985.

My question to you is does the Post-Tribune archive any Dealership advertising that goes back to 1973? And if so, is there any way I can get copies of the Post Tribune newspaper ads that may include this toy wagon promotion or any of McAnary FORDS dealership advertising?

I have recently completed full restorations on a FORD Torino Station Wagon and a Radio Flyer toy wagon to match the ones I remember as a child my Dad purchased on June 6, 1973.

Photos:

Radio Flyer Wagon restoration: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan..._photos_button

Torino Wagon restoration: http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=zovqivs.3em8ppmo&x=0&h=1&y=1 iihgf&localeid=en_US

Thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

Sincerely,

Carlos"

I really hope I get a response either good or bad. If anyone knows anyone who knows what I am requesting please forward my request. Thanks!

:confused:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The Kodak Gallery links didn't work, Carlos.:cry:

I wanted to see your little red wagon... :rofl2:

4. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

I'll see what I can do, but every now and again they act up. :slap: Hope all is well Norm!

5. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yep, all is A-One! Thanks

6. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Response

Hey Guys, well I got a response, but I was hoping it was better news. I re-sent my request to the Editor in charge because I never heard back from Mr Cains. :confused: Here was her response:

"Carlos,

We do not have any way to search for when or if any such ads appeared in the Post-Tribune. You could conduct a search on your own by going through microfiche on file at the main Lake County Public Library in Merrillville, if you’re still in the area. The Gary library also has P-T microfiche files, though I’m not sure where those would be since the main branch closed at the end of the year.

Regards"

I am gonna try and see if any of these microfiche files can be accesssed via internet and not intranet.

Search continues.......

7. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Still trying:

Well since I have struck out with FORD, McAnary Ford, and The Post-Tribune, I'm now trying the Lake County Library system. Here is what I sent them, we'll see what they say.

"Greetings,

Back in 1973 My dad bought a brand new Ford Torino Station Wagon from McAnary Ford in Gary, Indiana. As a promotion, I am assuming, with the Radio Flyer toy wagon corporation for 1 cent more you could purchase a wooden toy wagon. The reason I say it was a Radio Flyer wagon is because I remember the wagon looking very similar to the "Earth Wagon" Radio Flyer sells today. I was only two years old when this purchase was made so my memory is a lil foggy.

I have tried contacting FORD to see what literature they may have archived in reference to this promotion, but they advised they did not have any due to these type promotions were the regional dealerships responsibility. FORD did suggest I contact McAnary FORD in Gary, IN, for assistance, but unfortunately they have been closed since 1985.

I then contacted the Post-Tribune Newspaper archive to see if any of these advertisements were available, but they suggested I contact the Lake County Library to see if any of this material may be on microfiche film.

My question to you is there any archived Post-Tribune newspapers from 1973 on microfiche film available either at the library or via the internet to search for this information?

I have recently completed full restorations on a FORD Torino Station Wagon and a Radio Flyer toy wagon to match the ones I remember as a child my Dad purchased on June 6, 1973. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help."

8. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Finally!!!!!

I struck GOLD!!!! The ad is dated 2 days prior to my Dad buying the Torino wagon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  9. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

I used a lil imagination

I figured since I couldn't find exactly what I wanted I played a lil bit with the newspaper clippings and came up with this:

uploads/1558/one_cent_promo_rev.pdf

What do yall think?

10. doroc_usk

doroc_usk New Member

I'm digging this one up from the past! I recently bought a radio flyer wagon and searched extensively to try and find the year of it. I only found one identical to mine, which is on Ebay and has a title of 1973 Ford Promotion. This forum is one of the only places of information for this wagon. Do you know if these wagons had any custom markings on the side? As far as the white lettering. Mine only says "Radio Town & Country", and like i said, only found one online that matches. Thanks ahead of time!

11. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Oh wow I guess I was on the right track as far as them being Radio Flyer wagons. I was only 2 years old when my Dad bought our original Torino wagon and my brother paid the sales guy the penny for the toy wagon. Unfortunately, both of my parents are passed now so I can't ask them and my older brothers seem to remember the toy wagon's slats being green instead of red, but I would assume there may have been different colors available because I seem to remember seeing one with blue slats as well. Thanks for sharing though!

12. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

13. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

14. pemer

pemer New Member

DSCN0229.JPG
    This was the original art work from JWt That is me in the picture and my dog there was a little creative license on my dog as she was a duchound the I also have the full size bill board and the miniature 4.75" version of the wagon.