What have you done to your wagon lately? (Let's keep the thread going!)

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Dogbone, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

A) The intermittent wiper switch, maybe the dome light, and turn signal lens; B) No "E" on the end of my name....:disagree:

I love making a vehicle look and function well by these little replacement parts.

Grizz likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

And speaking of 1987 CPs, my friend Steven, with the '87 Grand Marq, found me an '87 CP, silver with dark blue interior, for $750. Mannnnnnn, if I could conjure up $750 for it, and not screw up my SSI, I'd be soooooo happy!

3. InuYasha86000

InuYasha86000 Member

looks gorgeous, and something funny to mention thanks to you changing the shift lever in yours, did you know that all lordco auto parts in canada have replacement shifter knobs for 1986 pontiac parisiennes? they are discontinued by dorman, but lordco still has them on there shelves, so I bought a replacement for one that broke on me and bought a spare for the 87, I might go around and scoop a few up still lol.

4. mj2638

mj2638 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Put a new windshield in. Hopefully for the last time ever!

Grizz and 101Volts like this.
  5. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Ya know I didn't even check availability for any of the levers but I will now. I'd be willing to bet they got the switches (turn signal, wiper)but not the levers. Gawd I'm gonna kick myself if they do

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  6. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looking good, Grizz. Will you be claying and compounding the finish some time? It does look oxidized.

7. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    What that windshield run ya? Was it hard to find?

8. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I bought a clay block when I got the headlights, so yeah but I never used one before. Do you think it will work on the bumpers and trim?

9. mj2638

mj2638 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Including shipping $401 from these guys https://www.pilkingtonclassics.com/ then the seal was $140 from Steele Rubber products.

10. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I feel like it'll work on both but I suggest using it on the bumpers last; they can be used on wheels too. Below is a video that (after cleaning the dirt off) shows claying. You can tell when an area's mostly cleaned; it won't make a noise like sandpaper. One note though, the video shows ChrisFix using Blue Dawn Soapy Water and a Mother's Clay Bar; that might make the bar soggy (Meguiar's is one that will turn soggy) depending on the brand.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Grizz likes this.
  11. InuYasha86000

InuYasha86000 Member

you know? I actually got my boss to look up a combo switch for my 1986 (you know, turn signal, cruise, wipers) and our warehouse had one, mind you it was over $100 even under my cost, but the fact our warehouse actually had one still was amazing so it's possible, you never know.

12. BlueVista

BlueVista Well-Known Member Charter Member

The most important/coolest part of my car broke...the powerful antenna.:(
    I luckily had a back-up in waiting that I picked from a '91. The drive cable broke in the old one so I ordered one and installed it, bench tested and works great. Now that I have a perfectly working unit sitting on the shelf the '91 unit in the car will never break.:rolleyes:
    I did notice that the '91 antenna tip looks like a pancake/UFO and the '92 tip is hex shaped, may get dinged for a couple of points if I ever show the car.:rofl:

13. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The antenna cable you bought is about 2 inches too long, and will break after about 6 months in use. They are the only ones that remotely fit the antenna, and are made by GM to boot. The hex shape should be on the 91 car, and all sedans and wagons. The pancake style was on the Roadmaster and the Fleetwood, as well as some other Cadillac rear antennas. Your antenna may have been repaired in the past, and the wrong finial was installed. I have repaired numerous antennas, and I always modify the cable, because of the failure rate. If you can find a hex shaped finial, it is not difficult to swap them.

You are fortunate that the repaired one works properly. Usually the top segment sticks in the last tube segment. I have filed and tweaked them until they worked smoothly.

14. InuYasha86000

InuYasha86000 Member

when I got my 1986 it had an old stationary antenna jammed in the broken tube for the electric one, luckily I found an aftermarket antenna off a 1986 pontiac car and even more lucky was someone had taken just about everything off the front end and left this antenna and a few other things, only issue, it looks like hell to install it and I really am not up to the challenge as of yet because my antenna is fender mounted.

15. lrbbiz

lrbbiz Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm turning my 63 Merc Monterey Colony Park into a tow wagon. Just changed out the 300's and put in a tru track 350 dif. Now I'm replacing front and rear springs with a new 2 inch lowered HD set with from Eaton. Love working on my wagon.

OrthmannJ likes this.