Doors and more doors

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Grizz, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    got some time to do a couple little jobs and thought I'd share. Here goes. First off was my "adopted wagon." The poor AMC that was being ignored at my brother's house, and now lives here where she can be loved, coddled and hang out with other old cars. I was sick of having to get in through the passenger side, so off with the door panel: IMG_0775.JPG IMG_0776.JPG when I looked at the inside of the handle I expected to find the rod! IMG_0777.JPG after further investigation I found it! In the bottom of the door: IMG_0780.JPG I found some similar door clips at o'really's. I believe they fit ford/GM. I also bought I set of shiney new screws for the panel. Puuuurty!: IMG_0781.JPG the rod clips were not an exact fit into the handle and latch so I did I little sanding added some grease and popped them in: IMG_0790.JPG IMG_0791.JPG that's a done door! image.jpg next up was my baby cp. the door was sagging so bad I could see daylight in the top corner with it closed. A hinge pin and bracket adjustment. First to brace the door, I grabbed my car jack but then I saw this motorcycle jack! IMG_0846.JPG It a factory pin so it took some grinding. I won't show you where I nicked the bracket with my cut off wheel... IMG_0847.JPG IMG_0848.JPG got pin, and the old bushings knocked out. I lost the top bushing when it went flying out into the fender: IMG_0850.JPG IMG_0852.JPG in with the new, that's half a day for me. Time to squander the rest of the daylight on the front porch:pub: IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0855.JPG

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Cool? Is the door plumb again?

And I just remembered, I'm supposed to fish some door latch parts for you. PM me if you still want them.

3. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Only if you come across a drivers side (since I nicked the other one) but no big deal. Heck there could be one in those boxes you sent. I looked through and found the trip minder and put the rest away! The door is much better but I feel like it could be better. I only adjusted the hinges on the door. Can also loose the hinges on the frame? I feel like the door needs to slide back some.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

No, do not touch the bolts holding the hinges to the body, unless you are replacing them. If there's still some sag, use body shims between the bottom hinge and the door. Is the striker bolt in good condition? Did I send you a striker bolt? I can't remember. But the parts doors are both passenger side.

5. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Ok good to know. Using shims crossed my mind. No more sagging, I just feel like it could be adjusted a tiny bit more. Striker bolt it good. It also needed to be adjusted. All in all I'm happy with the outcome, and no, don't go out of your way for those parts. Everything on the passenger side is perfect, front and back.

6. Silvertwinkiehobo

7. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Nice shade tree repairs. Just for future reference as example the door rod, been there done that with "I will never find the part ever again new", as long as you have "Ah" part you can duplicate on the shop table vise a new one, you can get the rod/nail rod just about anywhere. I f part is so messed up, you can always make a mirror image from the other side....bummer though if you have to take the other door panel off because.

Below, that is a freeken huge wheel to be stuffing in there:eek::tiphat:..... Hand held electric or air die grinder, always keep a few of those ground to almost nothing zip cut wheels in the tool box, sometimes size does matter(y)
    [​IMG]

8. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    Haha! I know. Take it easy man! I said I wouldn't show you where I nicked the bracket.... as far as size matters, I agree completely, waaaay too big, but in the same context, sometimes ya just gotta use what ya got and hope Its good enough to still earn a hot breakfast in the morning.

MAK likes this.