1971 AMC hornet sportabout

Discussion in 'American Station Wagons' started by Grizz, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Grizz submitted a new Garage Item:

1971 AMC hornet sportabout

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  2. goldenroadie96

goldenroadie96 New Member

very nice! I have been looking a few AMC's just curious how hard are they to get parts for? ... found a 77 Hornet that looks reasonable so am considering it ...

3. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I think basic engine components are relatively easy to find. Mine has the 4.0 straight 6 that a lot of jeeps still use. I can't find a heater core, although I only asked o'Riley's. I just repaired the door handle. The rod clips to open the door broke. I used some for ford that "kinda" worked. I reinforced the job with a few all mighty zip ties just to be safe. What all have you found car wise? Are they all in good shape? Maybe you could get a parts car to go with a good one?

4. Eagle Freek

Eagle Freek Well-Known Member

Being a 71, I assume it's a 232 or a 3.8L. It could be a 258, 4.2L, but they started making them in 71, if I recall, and since your car was built in 1970, my guess it's a 232. The 4.0L wasn't available in Jeeps until 1987, but they are based on the 232 and 258, so many parts interchange.

Grizz likes this.
  5. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    I'll have to check, it has the owners manual looks brand new

6. Ranchwagon68

Ranchwagon68 Member

Wagon Garage:
    Seems like the color is Burnished brown.
    http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?color=Burnished Brown&tditzler=2274&rows=50
    And the engine seems to be a 232, Check here to id: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/amc-vin.html

A question? Is the tube far back and slightly to the left on the valvecover going down to the oilpressurswitch? Amc delivered its own "repair-kit" for 232 used to loose oilpressure to the top due to clogged oilpassage. It was simply just a T-pipe between the oilpressureswitch and up trough the valvcover then over to the rockershaft.

7. Grizz

Wagon Garage:
    So you are correct on both the color and motor. I think the color is would have been cool kept original. As far as that tube. I found what you are talking about. Right next to the pcv valve, is a rubber hose that runs to a metal tube on the fire wall. It then travels down and feels like it runs along the frame. I'll try and jack it up tomorrow for further investigation. This picture of the paint is inside the engine compartment IMG_0873.JPG